Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Kettlebells

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Kettlebells   Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:46 am

Has anyone got any experience with using them? I've been considering getting a few for metabolic & functional workouts for a while. They seem to be gaining some support for both the metabolic & (so called) corrective exercise world - I don't like the phrase 'corrective exercise', it's too much like you're trying to be a physio therapist (PT) & personal trainers aren't PT's. The real job of the exercises is to find imbalances & help you reclaim symmetrical function & full range of motion, not correcting injures, which we as personal trainers can't diagnose. We may spot something is seriously wrong (we may even know what it is), but any decent personal trainer will pass you on to a PT for diagnoses & work with them to help fix you up.
Anyway, if anyone's tried them I'd like to know what you thought of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Kettlebells   Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Kettlebelles... Oh Lawd... another piece of equipment I don't yet own...

Well, actually I have something similar. In the U.S. "tractor weights" are fairly commonly found in junque sales. These are cast iron weights used to counter-weight the front ends of farm tractors. In my area these are often found in 50-lb size, and incorporate a cast-in-handles. I can't imagine utilizing these for competition lifting, like the Kettlebell Snatch, but I do use my fifty-pounder for Deadlifts.

Good luck, guys, I'll leave the Snatch, or the Kettlebell Jerk to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kettlebells   Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 am

I've snatched dumbbells, well it's more a power hang snatch as you tend to do it from the knee height then dip down a little, then power it up & just dip under a little to catch it. You can do that for reps fairly easily once you get in the rhythm. I'm actually better a full English dumbbell swings (that is swings where you swing it right up to over the head) than snatching a weight up, although I'm not sure it would be the same with a kettlebell?
My mate has got it into his head he wants to get certified as a kettlebell instructor next year & so apparently I have to go along...having never even touched a kettlebell before I thought it might be wise to at least get some experience with them before toddling off to a certification course!
I believe if you'd get the basics like the swing, snatch & Turkish get-up with around a 24Kg or 32kg kettlebell you'd probably be ok at anything short of an RKC certification (which are VERY hard).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kettlebells   

Back to top Go down

Kettlebells
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1