Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Beardybeans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Beardybeans

PostSubject: Re: Beardybeans   Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 am

Im the other way round, im new to body building but not being a vegan, just looking for some tips to get buff. Help please?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beardybeans   Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:00 am

Beardybeans what are your goals? Are they more mass, less fat, more athleticism. Each needs different approaches so we need to know roughly where you are right now & where you want to be. Hence we just have to fill in the journey from point A (here) to point B (final result).

Side note: I'll leave this post here for a bit, then move you to own thread once you reply just so we don't get confused.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Beardybeans

PostSubject: Beardybeans   Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:16 am

Hey, Well I would like to gain more mass but still keep some of my athleticism, at the moment im about 13stone im not sure what that is in lbs. Im 6'3 in height as well. So what sort of weight roughly do you think i should end up being and what do i have to do to achieve it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beardybeans   Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:40 am

I don't think we can say an exact weight that would be ideal, that would depend on so many factors, you could be big built, with bull-like joints or thin jointed. You keep your athleticism by keeping on doing athletically challenging training, so that will again how you define 'athletic', if you believe sprinting is important, then make sure you sprint, if it's going a long way, then distance work will have to play a part as well. A powerlifter is athletic, so is a marathon runner, but neither are very good at the others events, so take a bit of time to write down which attributes are important to you & focus a lot of time of them. That doesn't mean you can't do other stuff, so if sprinting is important to you, that does not mean you can't ever run a long way, but that sprinting will take up more of your training year than distance running. The actual choices will to a large part determine the size you actually reach, a sprinter will tend to carry more muscle, a heavy lifter will carry more than muscle than someone who lifts sub-max etc. If 'buff' is the goal, you will want to train quite like a bodybuilder, but you said you want to keep some athletic ability, so that would suggest some time doing athletic style training as well. I'd do something like a bodybuilder split, but my exercise choice would be more athletically challenging than the typical bodybuilding routine.
Here's my basic routine plan that I would do:

Foam roll (5 minutes)
Static stretch (30 second holds for about 5 minutes)
Dynamic warm-up/mobility (5-10 depending on any issues)
Workout (45-60 minutes)

For cardio I'd do HIIT style for much of the time so sprints (running, on bike, on rowing machine etc), use a heart monitor - I don't know your age or health but most athletes & gym rats with no medical issues do well doing a sprint, waiting until the heart rate hits 110-120 then go again, the session ends when a sprint becomes a fast run (ride or row), at first some people can only get 4 or 5 before they slow down, but can often work up to 10 or so. The idea is once you hit around 10 do not add more sprints try to go faster for the sprints you are doing!

exercises I'd consider adding are one leg deadlift (carry the weight in the opposite hand to the leg, so right leg, left arm, then reverse), Turkish get-up, rear foot elevated split squat, suitcase lift/carry, farmers walk, waiter walk, unstable lifts like adding weights to bands when doing a squat (see koji squat below of reasonable instability work), things like pistols or one leg squats, stuff that challenges the body, but also put in more traditional bodybuilding stuff like rows, chin-ups, curls & triceps extensions, you can also add in agility drills & basically other drills that you think would enhance your athletic ability.

koji squat
Of course the second part of the puzzle is diet. To get 'buff' you need fairly low fat levels, for a lot of people the old diet from now until summer, then add mass over the late Autumn/Winter is the way they prefer to work their diets as it means they look cool with their tops off in summer. You don't have to go crazy with the diet, nor with the bulking up if you want to keep fairly good year round.
Back to top Go down
Beardybeans

PostSubject: Re: Beardybeans   Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:06 am

Woah only just found the post, was wondering what happened to it haha. Thank you for the advice I will def take all of it on board and get training soon as. Little bit worried about the diet stuff but as you said i dont have to mad on it and make the right decisions as i go along. I will keep you updated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beardybeans   Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 am

Yea, keep us in the loop!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beardybeans   

Back to top Go down

Beardybeans