Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Bamboo bikes!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Bamboo bikes!   Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:04 am

This is crazy, but kind of makes sense. A guy has starting growing bike frames out of bamboo..A REAL eco-bike!
Check out the full story here
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Bamboo bikes!   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Bamboo Bikes actually have made the rounds for quite some time now, historically I don't know how far back that would be but any web image search will yield a high number. I even talked to someone who was importing bicycle mudguards made of bamboo from Southeast Asia which also looked rather elegant. Why not??

Here's one that still has a lot of steel parts but largely appears organic. The back wheel, I'm confused, there appears to be steel spokes but also almost bamboo/other wood spokes too but this one doesn't have as much aesthetic appeal but does look like it could carry quite a bit, they call it a cargo bike.

In England, whether you know it or not, it's a semi-paradise of bicycles, new but especially old. I see so many used bicycles on ebay.co.uk that must be so plentiful, they are sold as "pick up" only and at basement prices for what they'd usually be sold for in the USA but in turn, during the bike boom era of the '70s/'80s, a lot of Peugeots, Motobecanes (my preference) and other French bikes made their way here which makes up for that some along with Japanese bikes and those of other countries. If one is really into bikes, one knows of what I speak.

Back a long time ago, before World War II and picking up after it, Cycling Clubs from what I read were a major pass time in England and the whole UK of course, with legendary builders like Raleigh, etc. etc. That sounds real keen to me and something our modern world has lost "some." It sounds like the old cycling clubs would go on weekend trips, camping and the like on bikes. It must have been popular for exercise and socially as well.

On the bike maker Claud Butler:

Quote :
...The number of shops was consolidated to four at the resumption of full trading after the end of hostilities in 1945. Great success continued through the late forties and into the early fifties, with Claud Butler celebrating his Jubilee ‘in the game' in 1953. By the mid-fifties the glory days were over, with club cycling beginning to lose favour as a popular activity across Britain. ... The phasing-out of war-time rationing, as well as increased affluence throughout the population, brought aspirations towards consumerism and motorized transport. This was at odds with the simple pleasures of club cycling. The ultimate distraction – television – also became more affordable at this time, with many thousands of households equipping themselves to watch the live broadcast of the Queen’s Coronation in 1953. In the mid-to-late fifties Britain's lightweight trade was in serious decline, with several prominent marques relocating and downsizing, becoming amalgamated or simply packing up for good.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/claudbutler.html

Those clubs must have been a blast: sure, cycling is still very popular but it seems quite different.

------------------------

A few summers ago before I was more conscious about getting protein in my diet my rule of thumb was to drink Soya Milk after every long ride at least, averaging around 30 miles/50 kilometers, I did that often and on rare occasions a brew as well. I wasn't even trying to really build up the leg muscles but no one will ever accuse me of having chicken legs.

Back to the Soya Milk, yeh, I also read a hatchet job on Soya, made me wonder, on the web the search "Utne" (name of the magazine) and "Soy" and you'll find it, "the dark side of soy" and it was an article much like the one you had an article about along with the rebuttal. That article suggests eating fermented soy like Miso which is often very salty for me. It would not really work as a protein source. I think now, I should probably go back to the Soya Milk more because your article made sense and I have never drunk large amounts of it and it is tasteful.

----------------------

Last word on biking, I live in probably one of the most conducive and friendly biking areas around but I take extreme precautions, rarely ride in any kind of heavy traffic, always wear a helmet, use bicycle paths a lot and find the quiet streets for my routes too. Everyone needs to be very careful if you do ride. You hear about a lot of accidents and before I got steet savvy, I'm fortunate not to have had one now that everyone is gearing up for the summer months, I add that in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bamboo bikes!   Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:37 am

Don Dorans was an avid cyclist & physical culture exponent. I think cycling hit it's prime around the 30's 40's mark in the UK. It was pretty popular. It's getting much rarer for younger kids now you have to keep them on a leash (just about) & can never let them out of your sight or you're a bad parent? Maybe you can buy a wii cycling game for them to play instead Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bamboo bikes!   

Back to top Go down

Bamboo bikes!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1