Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

any older members?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alirosie

PostSubject: any older members?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm wondering if at 51 i'm too old for this forum! I've been vegetarian since 1980 and then went vegan about 5 years ago. I lost a lot of weight with diet and aerobics but wasn't happy with my fitness (skinny fat). So, a year ago i started with a weight lifting routine (Fat Burning Furnace) - all going ok until my GP diagnosed tenosynovitis - my right hand was in a real mess. Took time out and went back to aerobics but more energetic stuff - Turbo Jam. Really enjoyed it but missed weights big time. A couple of months ago I joined a gym and have a programme that gives me a whole body workout 3x a week. To be honest i don't think the programme is much good as the "advisers" there aren't well clued up and i'm trying to put something together from the internet (and getting very confused). Basically i've been trying to increase the weights until i can lift no more - doing one set of each. at the end of the weights workout i do 25 minutes jogging on the treadmill. My diet is - i think - only fair.

What would really help me is if i could post my workouts and what i eat and get feedback. However i'm nervous that i'm going to be told i'm (a) too old (b) doing rubbish workouts (c) eating all the wrong things. Sorry if this sounds negative but i've been battling depression and have only just started coming out of it in the last couple of months (most of the improvement has been because of the exercise - it makes me feel good about myself).

Anyway - could anyone tolerate me just being truthful about what i'm doing and giving me some tips? My goal is to tone up what i have - some muscle definition would be good but i'm realistic that at 51 i'm not going to be body beautiful.

Cheers, (and apologies for the long post!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sandra

PostSubject: Re: any older members?   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I think it will be a great idea to post your workouts and no you are never to young or old. BTW Welcome to the forum and I look forward to reading your post Very Happy

What part of the world are you from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sandralawson.wordpress.com/
alirosie

PostSubject: just checking....   Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:26 am

my last post didn't get sent cos i have to wait 7 days it seems?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alirosie

PostSubject: well that's weird lol   Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 am

figured out my problem i was trying to give a link to an external site and i can't do that for 7 days so i'll just have to try and describe it lol

anyway i'm from Staffordshire UK and really do appreciate your welcome.

As for my current workout i'm kind of muddling through on my own because at this gym they don't give women heavy weights so i just trawl through internet for ideas Sad

currently i'm doing:
240 sit ups on abroller
8 sets 10 hanging knees to chest (arms at 90 deg if you know what i mean!)
3 sets 10 on incline bench (crunches)
5 sets 10 crunches on stability ball
though recently i've dropped abroller and have put in ab workout with medicine ball (this is where i wanted to give a link but i can't for 7 days Smile
basically it involves about 9 different exercises including i think its called woodcutter - if you put in "ab exercises with medicine ball its third link - a youtube vid)

legs:
2 sets 10 leg press 170kg
2 sets 10 leg extension 45kg
3 sets 10 walking lunges carrying 2 x 5kg dumbbells
2 sets 10 squats with stability ball against my back (on wall) with 2 x 10kg weights
2 sets 10 SLDL with barbell

arms:
2 sets 10 bench press with 2 x 10kg dumbbells
2 sets 10 flyes with 2 x 9kg dumbbells
2 sets 10 concentration curls with 2 x 10kg dumbbells
2 sets 10 tricep kickbacks with 7kg dumbbells

at the end i do 25 mins jogging on the treadmill

since going to the gym i've noticed a big improvement in my abs - more definition than i've ever had. my arms feel firmer and i can feel huge improvement in my tricep and bicep area but my legs are not good - still carrying a lot of extra weight there.

my goal isn't weight loss so much but i just would love my legs to be more toned. i'm realistic that i can't do wonders at my age but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sandra

PostSubject: Re: any older members?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:25 pm

alirosie wrote:
As for my current workout i'm kind of muddling through on my own because at this gym they don't give women heavy weights so i just trawl through internet for ideas

That's crazy that they don't give women heavy weights. I personally love to lift heavy

You should think about posting your work out in the section for training logs here is the link http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net/f10-training-logs

If it helps here is a link to mine http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net/t849-sandra-s-journal

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sandralawson.wordpress.com/
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: any older members?   Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:03 am

Hi just thought I'd give you a quick welcome as well. NO WAY are you too old! My mate Robbie won the over 50's Mr UK, over 50's Mr GB & came 7th in the Mr Universe over 50's class a couple of years ago & after a couple of setbacks he's ready to be hitting the stage again either later this year or early next! Pat Reeves is in here 60's & still breaking powerlifting records! From anecdotal evidence out that a load of people actually go plant-based as it helps keep them training well into old age while those that continue to eat meat often have to quit, so don't let anyone tell you you are too old. What you may need is slightly more time on the warm-up, stuff like mobility, activation & stretching can become a higher priority. Also working with things like asymmetrical lifting (lifting with one side) becomes important & so does power production as power drops so much faster than strength as you age, so you should consider adding a few power moves throughout the year. Remember you do not have to do EVERYTHING at once. Have times you focus on strength, others when you focus on power. You will need to work on your hands a bit, (quick tip get a golf ball, or if that's not available a Chinese mediation ball - you can use that to self massage {called self myofascial release by those who prefer big words} simply rub it around the hand, the wrist, right up to the elbow & above, find those areas of tension & 'hotspots', this is not as good as finding a decent massage therapist, but it can be done daily or even several times a day at the start, you can also find a decent massage therapist as well & they can REALLY get into those knots that can form in the arm, wrist & hand.
As Sandra said lifting heavy is important, it becomes MORE important as you age as muscle mass disappears a little a time as you age, you have to fight this hypertrophy (a fancy name for muscle mass gain) is something anyone over 35 has to begin to think about & work towards at least some of the time. Even athletes who don't care about muscle size still need to keep that base of muscle mass there if they wish to continue to perform, so moving towards heavy weights are vital.
Changes I'd like to see made:
Way too much flexion of the abs (bending forwards, the crunching, sit-up type movement) - right now in personal training consensus is that a lot of flexing of the abs is not so good for the back (if you want more details check out Stuart McGill he has a whole load of info about ab function & is probably one of the leaders in the field of back health for those who exercise at this time - his view is that the main function of the core is to stabilise or resist movement not initiate movement, so he gets people doing plank variations at the start, then works up to stuff like ab-roller (i'll add a youtube below as you called something else an ab roller & I didn't want any confusion), from there you can include asymmetrical & heavy lift & walk, so suitcase lift, waiter walk, farmers walk, you can also include single leg deadlift with a kettlebell or dumbbell (for core work you lift with the opposite arm to the lifting leg, so if you are standing on your right leg, the bell will be in your left hand), the same can be done with a single leg squat progression (the weight held on next to the opposite shoulder to the leg you are lifting, so use the left hand to lift the bell while the right leg is forward), finally you can move onto more advanced stuff like asymmetrical walking lunge (forward, backwards & laterally), Turkish get-up etc. You can still add some flexion (crunches, sit-ups etc), but go for quality of movement, not quantity. Remember these movements work the whole core & you can go heavy on many of the movements, so you get both the core stability work & the muscle boosting effects in one movement, from many of the movements that involve big weights you also get the benefit of a hormone surge that will really aid in keeping the body young looking

here's an ab roller

Second point: you can leg press 170, but you are still squatting against the wall using a ball Question That makes no sense, yes the squat is a technical lift compared to say the deadlift, but the results are worth it & you squat every day! You get in & out of chairs. I usually start with a wall squat - I don't use this exact progression myself, but I found this that is ok (He does 'tuck his tail' a bit at the bottom of the movement, try to keep the spine curve & stop just before the 'tuck' occurs)

Once you have that progression mastered you will be easily ready for weights on the back (or front), remember you don't have to use a barbell, kettlebells are awesome for front squats while keeping the wrist neutral which is important for you. Really watch for the knees caving in (called knee valgus) as that is quite common with females, if you notice it, you can easily fix it by putting a band tight just above the knees (so it pulls them inwards), that way you are forced to push out & lean to push the knees out. I'd check your walking rarely see anyone ready for walking lunges straight out of the gate, some how they have become the thing that women 'should' be doing, but many people need to work up to them through a progression:
1/ Standing split squat
2/ rear foot elevated split squat
3/ lunge (forward, backward & lateral variations)
4/ walking lunge

That's the order I normally teach to achieve a walking lunge. Every variation check for knee valgus, check foot placement. Start a lung with feet together & step directly forward, you should NOT make a wide base, the balance aspect is a vital feature of the movement, feet shouldn't turn in or out (Olympic lifters who use the split in their sport do turn their feet slightly in as this makes the lift easier by putting the weight onto the ligaments a little bit, you do not want that, you wan the exercise as hard as possible), make sure the knees track over the feet. Fail at any of these & regress the movement to an earlier variation. Once you've mastered the walking lunge you can still regress for variation & for some cycles (for example you can lift more doing a rear foot elevated split squat than you can doing a walking lunge, so adding that back in can be a good thing now & again).

You're doing NO pulling affraid There is a saying in training. The front of you looks good, the back of you makes you perform good! It's the bit you can't see behind you that is the real powerhouse of the body. I believe all women should be able to do pull-ups, you should work towards that as a goal (it will also make you look awesome as you get that 'tiny waist look' that fitness girls have), you should do some form of row & begin working towards a pull-up. I've only trained one girl who failed to get a pull-up & she had an eating disorder & couldn't get enough calories in to actually build the necessary muscle, every other female I trained of ANY size has made at least one pull-up at most it took me 3 months from zero exercise ever to 1 rep - without someone coaching you it may take you a little longer, but let's set a goal right now 1 pull-up by xmas, how about that. A lot of guys your age cannot do a single pull-up, so getting one will be a cool goal (one to start with, after that we'll want more!), so how you start will depend upon where you are, you may need to work on pulldowns, you may need to use band assisted pull-ups, you may need to just work the negative (pulling up as hard as you can when you reach the bottom that's important!), or you may even be able to do isometric holds on the bar at different heights, that depends upon where you are, but all that pulling will also build you arms better than any curl you've ever done!
If you need any help with any planning Sandra knows her stuff & I can always help as well. I'm also a fully qualified clinical nutritionist & sports nutritionist so I'm ok with any dietary issues as well - obviously not seeing you, it is up to you to become your own coach, any pain during an exercise (bad pain, not lactic acid burn we WANT that Twisted Evil ) drop the exercise, there are a 100 exercises for any one muscle, so if one doesn't suit you, we just pop in another it's not a big deal, but you have to coach yourself, get to know your body, get to know when something is wrong, don't be a fool & fight through if there's pain, pain is your body saying "Don't do that!", so listen to it. I'm not saying don't do it forever - I've had people come to me to sort out their squat & we've had to stop squatting for a time, I've said "You can't do this now, that doesn't mean you can't do that forever!", so we can get things that you previously couldn't do back, not always, but it can be done if there is a will to make it happen.
Anyway, hopefully that's given you something to consider, think about moving towards a weighted squat, really make sure you are ready for a walking lunge, add some pulling, swap some of those ab flexion movements for other things that work the abs a different way, become your own coach & finally we'd all like to see that pull-up by xmas Twisted Evil
As Sandra said start a log, you can put in training & diet if you like, I love seeing what people are up to & how their training is developing, so I'll certainly be following along. Good luck & remember as you train, biologically you are getting younger as the muscles come back, the body improves & the better you emerges!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
alirosie

PostSubject: wow....   Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Sandra/Pete thank you so much!! such a great welcome. i got such a buzz reading what you said about my age. when my GP said tenosynovitis in my wrist he said at my age gardening would be good exercise!!

anyway.....i've got such a lot to learn - so many names of exercises you mention Pete and i haven't got a clue - thank gooddness for the internet Laughing

the golf ball idea sounds great and your comments about the exercises i'm doing make a lot of sense so trust me i WILL be putting these into practice. wasn't sure what a pull up was so i googled it. affraid i'm absolutely terrified. especially cos the guys go up the front where the bar is and i know i won't be able to do one straight out and i'll feel such a failure. women in the mixed gym tend to get a not so wonderful reaction especially if they head towards the free weights etc. anyway - no excuses i'll keep trying until i can do it.

as for my diet, well i have porridge oats (not instant kind) and ground flaxseed in the morning, sandwich and filling usually made from pulses with salad or sprouted beans (i only have wholemeal bread - can't STAND white yuch) evening meal is seitan or pulses or other vegan main part with loads of veg, snacks if i feel hungry are yoghurts, fresh fruit and i try to drink 1.5 litres. Bad news is i'm not drinking water but low calorie squash and when i have tea or decaff its with sweetener and i know i've got to get rid of sweeteners cos they're rubbish so that is something i have to change. i don't think my portion control is a problem but i do have cravings for sweet food late at night especially on workout days and would love some advice. i don't weigh myself but rely on how my clothes feel and how i look and i've been pretty stable at the current size for the last couple of years.

anyway sorry again for the really long post. thank you both again for the support and advice. i felt so encouraged Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mortidraybob

PostSubject: Re: any older members?   Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Alirosie!!

I'm very new too so can't be much help with exercises or such because I'm a total newbie here Very Happy But it's always nice to see people with the same goals!
Also (again I'm very new to the exercise biz) you can never be too old to be happy and healthy! And since I joined this forum I've been working out and feeling awesome Very Happy this is my favourite place to find inspiration and advice Very Happy!
Anyway just wanted to say hello Very Happy
x x x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alirosie

PostSubject: hi back!   Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Mortidraybob wrote:
Hi Alirosie!!

I'm very new too so can't be much help with exercises or such because I'm a total newbie here Very Happy But it's always nice to see people with the same goals!
Also (again I'm very new to the exercise biz) you can never be too old to be happy and healthy! And since I joined this forum I've been working out and feeling awesome Very Happy this is my favourite place to find inspiration and advice Very Happy!
Anyway just wanted to say hello Very Happy
x x x

you're really right about never being too old to be happy and healthy Smile i'm so pleased you're feeling good and i agree with you that i've been getting some great advice.
so - hi back Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any older members?   

Back to top Go down

any older members?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1