Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

What's up...from South Florida

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TRex

PostSubject: What's up...from South Florida   Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Hey All

Just started checking out this site and felt the need to join and intro myself. I have recently delved into the world of non meat eater, to experiment with the health and body transformation aspects of it. My main goal is to shed fat and clean out my body to achieve my best state of health and well being possible. I started my fat loss journey back in January (not really a New Year’s Resolution) at 245lbs and as of last week I have lost 35lbs (15.9K or 2.5 Stones for my boys across the pond Very Happy ) bringing me to 210lbs. I decided to try cutting meat out of my diet when I did some research on how acid affects the body and also plays a part in fat storage. I also wanted to gain the energy effects of eating a more alkaline diet. I have been vegetarian for a month now, and went to vegan ten days ago. The great thing about my weight loss is once I cut out meat from my diet, my fat loss accelerated. I have been eating much more to make up for the calorie deficit, but I am starting to notice a real leaning out. This is not a bad thing, but I do want to put some more muscle on now that I have shed quite a bit of fat. I train 6 days a week with a mix of cardio, weights, and yoga. I feel stronger than I have been in the past few years and while I am leaning out, I do feel more solid.

Additional goal, besides outstanding health and wellness, would be to drop my weight to 185lbs at 10% Body Fat and then work on adding muscle back up to 200lbs at 12-13% BF (I'm 6'1" or 185.42 centimeters). I have just started researching techniques and tips to vegan bodybuilding and I hope these numbers can be achieved living this lifestyle. I can’t say that I will never eat meat again as I love the atmosphere of grilling on my patio overlooking my lake with a bunch of friends during the football game, but I am happy with the way I feel currently and this feeling could keep me a non meat eater and throwing only veggies on my grill during those Sundays Very Happy .

I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from you guys on this site and will throw in any information that I come across as well. Feel free to comment on anything I have written above and offer any advice or criticism.

Thanks

T
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's up...from South Florida   Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 am

First off good job on the fat lost already. Doing so well puts you in the top few % of people who set out to lose weight (most unfortunately fail).
I would keep doing what you are doing as it seems to be working! The only change I might make (if you're not doing it already) is to aim at progressing with the weights. If you are after higher muscle mass you have to work hard to develop it, so working up to heavier weights will have to be goal & this will actually be easier while you are heavier (think about it you have more spare building materials lying about). Most of the time it's hard to lose fat & build muscle, but if you have quite a lot to lose & are losing it steadily, then you can often do both with some success, so I'd suggest planning some progression into your weight training plan.

For your Sundays you can still use that grill. marinated tofu, tempeh or seitan can work well, or there are low calorie fake meats like burgers, steaks etc you could try out.

Couple of health things I'd just like to run past you. Are you taking a B12 pill (or multi that contains it) & are you taking an omega-3 fatty acid source every morning (like ground flax seeds) See this post for details. If you are in a temperate climate or don't expose yourself to the sun much I also consider a vitamin D pill. That's it, take those, try to eat a whole food diet with plenty of green leafy veggies & you'll do really well.

Keep us up to date with how you're getting on & I'm looking forward to the before & after photos when you're at your ideal Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
TRex

PostSubject: Re: What's up...from South Florida   Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 am

Hey Pete

Thanks for your feedback. I plan on upping my weight being lifted, but at the moment I am working with the limited weight that I have. The gym I belong to is no longer accesable to me (60 miles one way) and I am currently looking for other local options. The one reason I have stuck on the fat loss run is because I always read that I would have to pick one, either lose fat or build muscle. Granted I believe I can build muscle while burning fat (souds like every Muscle and Fitness Cover), I also believe that in order to really add some decent mass, I will have to add a little fat in the process. I am actually in school right now to get my bachelors in Dietetics and Nutrition (just started and have not gotten into any of the Nutrition classes yet), so I will get a better handle on nutrition as I progress more. I have always enjoyed researching diet and excercise and have been successful with my ventures. My biggest problem is I would allow myself to get lazy again and destroy all the hard work it took to achieve my goals. I have now removed my beliefs that this is how it is for me, and I will be pushing my goals further and sticking there from here on out.

As for the Sundays, I will find some alternatives to make it an easier transition for me. I am still undecided if I will stay vegan or even vegetarian for the long haul, but with my current level of great health and the benefits I am receiving from it, it will be hard for me to allow meat back into my diet. My biggest thing is to try and stay as natural as possible. I am not really into all the "fake" cheeses and meats, but I do try them from time to time. I want to avoid as much of processed foods as possible. Maybe I am wrong, but isnt the soy cheese a pretty processed product?

As for multi's and supplements, I have listed below a few vegan supps I am taking to insure my B12 and Omega's. If you have not checked out Vega products from Sequel, I suggest you give them a look. Some awesome meal replacements as well as all natural plant proteins have really helped me with my transition. I was using these products even when I ate meat. They can be found much cheapier at other sites on the web, I just listed the address to there home site.

http://shop.sequelnaturals.com/Vega-Us/Vega-Nutritional-Products_2/whole_food_health_optimizer-large_berry?cid=PPC-WFHOUSA-S

http://shop.sequelnaturals.com/sequel-estore-us/Performance_2/sport_performance_protein_USD_tub_vanilla

Thanks again for your feedback. I am like a sponge when it comes to this stuff, and I am always eager to learn something new on how to progress my quest and offer that new knowledge to others looking for the same

T
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's up...from South Florida   Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Basically you will still be focussed on fat loss in the dietary sense, but trying to 'snatch' a bit of muscle growth on the side. You will not gain like someone eating excess calories, but that doesn't mean you cannot still add a little towards your final goal of a lean, muscular body while dieting down.
Fake cheese is certainly processed, you can get varying degrees of 'processed' in the fake burgers, from very fake, to one's made from whole foods like quinoa & that aren't too processed. You can even make your own burger & sausage alternatives from whole foods if you like cooking & experimentation. Obviously there are options like the tempeh, tofu foods that are closer to whole foods as well. I personally eat a lot of beans, probably daily actually. As ou're studying nutrition you'll probably have heard about lectin, a lot of paleo-types mention it. This is found in beans & causes inflammation. Many foods cause inflammation, like meat & dairy with Neu5Gc for example. So many foods in fact, that some inflammation caused by food would seem to be natural, it is excessive inflammation that we should aim at avoiding. As it stands right now I think you get more benefit from beans than from substituting other foods. I'm not saying that will always be the case, but for now I say they have a lot more known positives than negatives. I actually wrote a bit about the old-time barbell guys & their use of beans on the blog here. I will really have to put some time aside & write up the science supporting legumes as a food choice for many lifters.....
Anyway, I got sidetracked by beans somewhat Laughing
Yes, I've tried vega,it's not easy to find over here in the UK. I tend to use protein powders & add my own stuff to them, for example, right now here's my morning shake:

1 scoop protein (pea, hemp or rice - going to give brazil nut protein a go next alternated one type per day)
1/2 teaspoon powdered wheatgrass
1 teaspoon morninga
1 teaspoon chorella
1 teaspoon spirulina
1/4 teaspoon kelp powder
1/2 teaspoon brewers yeast
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Any fruit I want to add (I may not fancy any, as sometimes sweet isn't what I want AM)
Add whatever milk alternative I have at the time, which could be soya, hemp, or other 'milk'

(I do also have flax am with supplements & some solid food which could be porridge, spelt bread salad sandwich or similar). I think the shake compares pretty well with anything out there right now in terms of nutritional density, but buying something like vega is probably more convenient for most people.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about some of the stuff you will be learning on your course-if it's anything like mine you'll find the info is a little dated & you have to come armed to the teeth with studies & reports proving every statement you've made in every essay or question answered, but if you're a 'studies geek' you'll really enjoy the access to all the studies & stuff you get going to college (wish I still had that now No Crying or Very sad ).

Finally whether you stay with your present diet or not is a personal choice. This site is open to vegan, veggies & meat eaters who are interested in training & the inclusion of plant based nutrition. I hope that whatever you decide to consume you achieve your health & fitness goals. Good luck with the next phase of the fat loss plan!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's up...from South Florida   

Back to top Go down

What's up...from South Florida
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1