Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Soy questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tjonmc

PostSubject: Soy questions.   Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 pm

I have a feeling that this question has been asked over and over again but when I type "soy" or "tofu" in the search it says "No search results available".

Anyway, I've noticed it seems like a lot of you eat a lot of Tofu as part of your diet. With everything everyone has been saying about soy have any of you gotten your testosterone checked out after years of use? or your sperm count? I'm constantly hearing different things, Some of which seem like perfectly reliable sources.

I stopped eating tofu for about a year and a half after hearing all of the negative things about it, but I love the stuff and I'd like to have it in my diet again. It's an easy source of protein and tastes delicious if prepared correctly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Soy questions.   Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 am

I eat tofu, & my test for my age was high normal (last time it was checked a while ago now). phytoestrogens may have a mild effect similar to oestrogen, they may have a slightly anti-oestrogen effect, studies vary (often depending on who's funding). Having an ordinary amount is not going to feminise you more than having any animal milk for example (see this link for the latest study showing cows milk does decrease testosterone) ). Also soya isn't the only food with phytoestrogens in them, many plant foods have them, so unless you avoid many foods, then you'll have some issues.
Basically, treat it like any food & have it on occasion.
Focus on unprocessed food (so more on beans, nuts, seed & whole grains) rather than fake meats (dieting for bodybuilding contests is a different matter, but for most people whole food is vastly superior). Try to make your food more 'natural' than buying processed stuff like burgers, etc.
Having the odd bit of tofu would do you any harm whereas cramming yourself with processed stuff everyday will.
With soya (like any food) don't go mad. If you eat tofu, don't also eat soya protein powder, soya milk, fake soya meat product etc. Drink another 'milk' (hemp, almond etc), make a legume salad (remember every bean is slightly different so buy a variety. Eat plenty of nuts & seeds, try a different protein powder.

Also if your cholesterol is fine & you're worried about testosterone levels try adding some coconut fat into your diet. A lot of larger guys & girls (both vegan & not) have found increased test by adding coconut fat the diet (I had a quick look for studies, just about all have been done on various animals of various species-cheapness I suppose, but I know many people who have had good effects using coconut fat). As a general note - before someone states "Ahh, so animal experiments discovered coconut fat raises testosterone"...well no actually the first reference I have to coconut fat was from Joseph Hise (the guy who popularised the back squat) back in the late 1920's-early 1930's, so yes it was a guy experimenting on himself & publishing the results in a physical culture magazine that is the first discoverer of the idea as far as I know! He may not have specified testosterone as the reason, but certainly advocated coconut fat for increased muscle size & libido (I'd have to check if testosterone was mentioned in the actual magazines).
The idea mainly disappeared with steroids as these drugs do bad things to the cholesterol levels so having them & coconut fat didn't mix well! Luckily the old information still survives in old magazines!

Hopefully that's been of some use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
tjonmc

PostSubject: Re: Soy questions.   Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply, You've been a lot of help to me on this forum. I've just recently started to eat tofu about a week ago and since then I've eaten two bricks. I don't have any other form of soy so to me this seems okay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soy questions.   

Back to top Go down

Soy questions.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1