Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Building Mass and Destroying Acne seeking immediate help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Adam

PostSubject: Building Mass and Destroying Acne seeking immediate help   Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Hello,
I have been someone who enjoys athletics and building mass throughout my high school career. I ate anything in front of me when I was in high school because I was so active. Throughout high school I had terrible acne, so terrible that people took notice and said very mean things about it. I was told that it would go away as I got older... but I am 22 now and it is worse than ever. It has kept me secluded from living my life.
In desperation I have found vegan diets. I have read David Wolfe's books on raw foods and I jumped right in. Unfortunately I live in a town with a population of 500 people and we are close to 3 hours from other towns that have nothing in them. We have one store and a very small place of fruits and vegetables... no organics.
I quickly jumped into the diet though hoping to see results. I consumed hordes of vegetables and fruits, but lost 12 pounds in less than a week. I have an over active metabolism so I could eat ten pounds of food everyday and not see any growth. However with this new diet I have gone from a shredded 180 pounds, to an extreme weak 152 pounds... and still losing weight.
I have kept going for about a month now, hoping and praying that at least I could be smaller with no acne... but my acne appears to have gotten worse. I attempted to go back to animal products momentarily to build up my body just a little more, but as soon as I did I had huge, and I mean monstorous, acne appear on my face the very next day that was worse than I have ever had!!
I am in a rut. I feel as if I am wilting away, pissed at my acne on my face, and pissed at my dramatic weight loss. I am very depressed and haven't shown my face for months now. I am still living with my parents feeling as if I am dying a slow painful death.
Please, if there is anyone who knows a way to be able to live extremely healthy with next to no acne, and free to gain as much weight as possible, I am all ears. I would truly be indebted to anyone who could help. I am at my last straw... I don't know how much more I could take.
Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Building Mass and Destroying Acne seeking immediate help   Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:23 am

Acne is hormonal, diet can sometimes help, but unfortunately you get no guarantees. No one can guantee any diet, drug or treatment will clear up your condition, all people can do is offer some suggestions.
My first suggestion is to take things slow & do not expect overnight miracles. You will not get results from anything overnight, sometimes things things take time. Doing extreme things like jumping into a totally new way of eating without any real understanding will only help to upset the endocrine system even more.
My first steps would be:

1/ Increase water intake
2/ Include Essential Fatty Acids into your diet by adding fresh ground flax seed every morning - you can buy a cheap coffee grinder & grind up 1 tablespoon daily - other options for AM are 2 tablespoons of hemp seed or walnuts (you can also add an algae based DHA pill in the evening if you want to)
3/ Drop dairy (you can swap for soya milk, yogurts etc or other 'fake milk' if you prefer)
4/ Drop refined sugar, flour etc to as low as possible (this includes eating brown, not white rice if possible) & as much processed food as possible
5/ Keep an eye on your added fat intake (stop or lower as much as possible your fried food intake)
6/ Eat plenty of fibre-rich foods
7/ Eat as much vegetables as you like (raw or steamed are the top choices)
8/ Avoid alcohol, smoking & other recreational drugs
9/ Limit red meat intake
10/Check for allergies/intolerances (dairy, shellfish, wheat etc) & avoid any allergens
11/ Supplementing -take a multi-vit/min daily & think about some other extra supplements (zinc springs to mind)
12/ Eat 1 0or 2 brazil nuts a day for selenium content

Make these changes slowly, don't expect miracles.

As you live in small town take your time to prepare for the change over. Find some online stores that sell the foods you need. You may need to order soya milk, some of the newer foods like quinoa (pronounced "Keen-WA"), amaranth etc. There is no need to make every change at once, take your time to adjust. Just as it took a while for this condition to develop, so it may well take time to correct itself. Make changes slowly & adjust to each change before moving on to the next change.
Lastly I would still include some exercise. Exercise will aid in the job of hormone balancing, so keeping up with the training will help.

Sorry I can't offer a guaranteed result for you, all we can offer is options. All the best with the issue & keep us up to date with how it's going. Bear in mind you're not totally alone we are always here to support you & offer what help we can!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Building Mass and Destroying Acne seeking immediate help   Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey thanks man,
Your reply is much appreciated. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions. I believe that the reason for not having to much fat in my diet is that I find fat is pretty much the number one reason for my breakouts. But after doing lots of research I have found that saturated fats and transfats are by far the worst for your body, however monosaturated and polysaturated are fats that are needed in the body to get rid of breakouts.
So my question is what is the best brand of oil, like olive oil or other oils, for your body? I can't spend to much because I am in a financial pinch right now, but if I could afford some type of oil on a regular basis I believe that it would help. So what brand should I go for? I was using a brand that was said to be 100 percent organic by the USDA but it had 2 grams of saturated fat for every serving, but on top of that it had lots of polysaturated and monosaturated fats as well. What do you use?
Thanks again for the tips. I will attempt to consume quite a bit more of healthy fats for my skin. Maybe then I can gain some weight and have clear skin. I will experiment for a few months and see how it goes.
Thanks much!
Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Building Mass and Destroying Acne seeking immediate help   Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:47 pm

What you actually need are Essential fatty acids (EFAs), every other fat isn't vital although having something like olive oil won't hurt you.
You are right in one sense you should avoid fats that are high in saturated fats & any hydrogenated oils (transfats). Quite a few oils (in fact most) have some saturated fats in them, but much less than say a animal source. If you look at olive oil or sunflower oil you'll see they both have a little saturated fat in them, nearly any food with fat in has some saturated fat, you need to avoid the higher levels of saturated fat found in animal products.
The oil you absolutely need is your EFAs. The cheapest way to get them is to buy flaxseeds (whole) & grind them just before use. You need (at you weight) approx 1 or at most 2 tablespoon, simply whiz them up in an cheap coffee grinder in the morning & take them at breakfast time - either in cereal, add to soya milk & drink, or add to porridge (AFTER you've heated up the porridge). That will get you all the omega 3 fatty acids you need. You can buy flax oil instead of the seeds, but it works out much more expensive. (you can pick up a cheap coffee grinder cheap on amazon, or second hand), you do need to grind the seeds or they come out the other end without being digested!
You will most likely get enough of the other main EFA which is omega 6 (VERY probably unless you go out of your way to avoid fat in fat food) as it's abundant in most plant oils.
If you are taking the flax seed in & eating some foods that contain fat (any seeds, nuts, foods containing plant fats) that will be the only fat you'll need. You may need some extra fat just to make up calories during the day, but you really don't have to go out of your way to find it (things like nuts, seeds, even whole grain bread & brown rice contain some fats).
I'd actually work on getting more water into you & eating more veggies (especially green leafy veggies) that are steamed & raw. You have to watch your weight. Any major drop (or gain) can cause stress on the body, which will upset the hormone balance. Creeping slowly towards change, giving the body time to adapt is the best move. If you do that & add the flax as the first move (along with limiting your saturated fat intake), see how that affects you for a few weeks. From there you can add other things. The idea is to take out the least amount of things to get the results you want. For example say your acne cleared by going full raw. That would be great, but say you only needed to increase your water & vegetable intake to get the same result, wouldn't that make life in general easier? So, if just doing one or two small things get the job done, then I'd say just do the 1 or 2 simple things. If you go too extreme, especially in a small community like you live in, then life can soon become so complex that there is no way to keep it up. The ideal solution is to find the easiest ways to achieve your goals. I'll be honest, this may take some time & some experimentation, but hopefully by making a few small tweaks you can eventually find some triggers that are setting off your condition, once you do that you can modify your diet or lifestyle to allow recovery to take place. If you need support or advice that's what we're here for. I'm sure as others read these posts you will get some more advice & support, so whenever you feel it's getting on top of you, just reach out, I know we're only on the internet, but at least you can maybe feel less alone with your problems. Hopefully you will be on the road to recovery very soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building Mass and Destroying Acne seeking immediate help   

Back to top Go down

Building Mass and Destroying Acne seeking immediate help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1