Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

In the Heartland

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

PostSubject: In the Heartland   Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:00 am

Over the weekend I had occasion to spend a couple of days in Branson, Missouri. Branson isn’t my idea of a wonderful place to be, but for people who happen to enjoy square miles of crowds, noise, traffic, bright lights, country-western music by name-brand performers in a garish carnival atmosphere it must be near heaven.
Branson seems to be particularly heavenly for people who enjoy eating themselves into blimp-like proportions. Sadly there were quite a few of those--three-quarters of the people I saw were grossly overweight.
Branson is not an easy place in which to be vegetarian, every restaurant’s menu catalogues servings of slabs of beef, pork and mystery meat. Side dishes often include whole roast chickens. Vegetables are cooked with oil, and could serve to offset the world’s petroleum crisis.

I ate a lot of salad, baked potatoes without toppings, and was only saved from starvation when a restaurant admitted that they had veggie-burgers in the freezer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: In the Heartland   Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Oh, here's an interesting aside...

Following the trip, and still concerned about taking on unwanted calories and resembling the Graf Zepplin while grazing in the midwest, (if only by osmosis), I reduced the amount I was eating.

As may be a result, my lifting ability dropped !
I took 14 lbs. off of my bench press before I was comfortable with it again, and ten off of the lat pull-down.

This could be psychosomatic, or could be a result of not feeding enough coal to the engine. I try to listen to my body since it's the only one I have.

The good news is that my chins have increased slightly even though really good pull-downs remain an elusive goal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: In the Heartland   Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 pm

When I was young and especially when I was trying to take in a lot of protein a few days of less calories/less protein could really drop my lifts a lot. This meant unfortunately that I was constantly worrying about getting protein etc, to the point it somewhat got in the way of enjoying going on trips and so on.

And where I live (West Virginia) is about like Missouri. Actually a nearby city was determined to be the fattest city in all of America recently. Ordered out recently from a place that had a single item without meat. And that item was called "The San Franciscan" which I'm pretty sure was meant to insinuate something pretty ugly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: In the Heartland   Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 am

It's really hard when you go to somewhere that isn't very friendly to the meat-free population. I think most of us have had to suffer that at times. Even going to family events & stuff can be hard (I was once relegated to a dry bread roll at one family gathering...I went out & bought something...it wasn't their fault they simply couldn't get their head around the whole vegan thing. I did hope there would be slightly more than that mind you!).
It could well be the tank running empty if you had problems as I have issues if I eat badly the day before a heavy session.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: In the Heartland   Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm slowly working my way back up, although I jacked up the bench press to its previous weight yesterday, and nearly dropped it (I am SO glad I invested in that rack!).
Part of the problem is that I'd like get healthy and strong without gaining any body weight. I'd like to lose the extra fat I might be carrying while adding to the lean muscle mass.
The trainer I mentioned elsewhere on this forum suggested fewer sets and more cardio. I'll try this and see if it works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: In the Heartland   Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Another option is to change the way you train. Doing 'complexes' (that is various mixes of compound moves) with little rest can also have a great effect on the amount of fat burnt per session (guys like Coach Dos have written books like Cardio strength training for example). Changing to this style actually works better for guys over 40 than doing long, slow endurance sessions in many cases (especially if time is a factor), plus many guys prefer it to doing sessions of weights & sessions of cardio.
Bear in mind this is a new challenge, if done correctly it won't be easy & you'll need some adjustment, but it is another option for you to think about if you want to lose fat (& a it'll help keep you warm when you train over the colder months Laughing ).
I'm not saying you can't lose fat doing more cardio, but just offering you some options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the Heartland   

Back to top Go down

In the Heartland
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1