Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

denatured/undenatured protein

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Court

PostSubject: denatured/undenatured protein   Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I had an idea to create some variety in my protein shakes by buying plain, unsweetened, unflavoured pea protein isolate and making it into a kind of soup, with boiling water, tomato paste, herbs etc. But I was told that this would denature the protein, thereby destroying the protein and making it useless. I thought it only changed the structure of the protein, but didn't destroy the amino acids.

But milk is pasteurised, so wouldn't this denature the protein from which whey and casein is made from?

Could someone clarify this for me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.activatenaturalmedicine.com
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: denatured/undenatured protein   Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:59 am

My understanding of this is that while some proteins can become less available by heating, conversely others can become more easily available. The amounts are pretty small, enough so you need not be concerned, as you noted if heating food made proteins unavailable most people would be suffering from protein deficiency issues. The issues are proteins bonding with other things so you get stuff like lectins (some of which are unusable by the body-others can be broken down), & other substances being created from proteins & something else. Some of these we cannot digest, so pass through you (or cause issues within the body).
I don't claim to know the full story by a long way & there may be other factors, but that's what I've found out about this issue.

I believe pea protein is actually heated during production, so reheating shouldn't affect the protein anymore than it has been affected already (& yes, I've used it in soups, it makes them slightly thicker)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Court

PostSubject: Re: denatured/undenatured protein   Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:10 am

Thanks Pete, if I end up doing a masters of nutrition next year, I'll have lots more questions for you, haha.

Were the soups any good? If any were particularly good, maybe you could post the recipes. Razz (me eating)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.activatenaturalmedicine.com
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: denatured/undenatured protein   Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 am

I'm actually quite anal. I like looking stuff up Embarassed so if I'm not quite as busy as now I enjoy checking stuff up, finding studies etc.
Generally my soups tend to be 'bung whatever I can find in the pot' type events. I'm not the greatest cook in the world. I just make sue I have a reasonable amount of protein & let the fats & carbs land where ever, depending on what's in.
If you're planning dieting for contest you'll have to be more careful with your food choices (although if you're still hard training/pre-diet you can be more slack).

Hmm.... the idea of making some soups that are high protein, contest style meals is actually kind of novel....maybe we should create some as it's a whole food type that isn't covered by main stream bodybuilding & their obsession with chicken, rice & broccoli for every meal. You could seriously rely on a lot of green veggies, seasoning & a protein source - I believe you could use beans as well as tofu seitan etc unless you going ultra low carb as although they contain carbs they are quite indigestible & are used more to feed the good bacteria in the gut than to get into you - until maybe 2 or 3 weeks out maybe? So, you could have soups based around tofu, seitan (probably have some BCAAs or L-leucine with the seitan as it's low in this vital anabolic amino acid), beans a few times a week. You could also knock up big pots & freeze in containers, so make up a weeks worth at a go. I might have to think about this a bit & when I have time knock up a few ideas - they probably won't be the tastiest, as I'm not a great cook, but they should be able to get you through at least the first 10-12 weeks of a contest diet before you might have to think about moderating at least the bean versions - depending on whether you are more carb sensitive or fat sensitive.

If anyone is a good cook, it might be worth experimenting with a few ideas for us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: denatured/undenatured protein   Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm only a hobby chef, but recently I was faced with an interesting problem.

I wasn't able to drive to town to the market so an acquaintance offered to pick up some vegetables on her next shopping trip. I should have specified FRESH vegetables because she returned happily with two very large bags of mixed, frozen chopped vegetables. Oh yum...I said, thanking her, not mentioning that normally I wouldn't feed these to a raccoon.

But last week I needed inspiration for a noon meal, and saying, "whut thu hell..." I dug into the freezer, found the vegetables, and tossed the chopped frozen carrots, green beans, peas, and what may have been corn into a sauce pan and sauteed them in water to thaw and soften them. Then I dumped these into the blender and pureed them into something resembling pea soup.
I added a little salt, some cumin, while I cooked chopped onion and garlic until transparent.
Mixed the whole works together and warmed it briefly to a soft boil. I mixed in a tablespoon of the whey protein I've mentioned elsewhere (soy protein would have been less noticeable), and stirred the whole works together:
then served it with home made garlic bread toast.

Quick to make, and not too shabby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: denatured/undenatured protein   

Back to top Go down

denatured/undenatured protein
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1