Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Recommendations for fat burners

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Court

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for fat burners   Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 pm

As a naturopath/nutritionist in training, and having worked at health foods shops and a chemist, I can tell you that acai berry won't help anyone lose weight. There's no evidence or any logical reason as to how it could burn fat. Acai berry is a very nutritious fruit, like almost all berries, and high in antioxidants.

You need to be very careful with fat burners as even taken in normal doses can lead to adrenal fatigue which is counter-productive to weight loss. Thermogenic fat burners raise the metabolism, but there are many safe ways to do this without placing stress on the adrenal glands. Eating small meals or snacks every 2-3 hours will mean that your digestion is constantly at work, steadily using energy to digest that food. Try to include fibrous foods, particularly fibrous vegetables with most, if not all of these meals as again this makes digestion work harder. If she's doing weight lifting, then make sure she has no more than 2 days rest, as this is when the fat burning benefits of weightlifting declines. And always 8 hours sleep minimum, and a regular sleep-wake pattern.

If you want to take a supplement, have a look into L-carnitine, inositol, methionine or choline bitartrate. These aren't fat burners but will help facilitate the bodies ability to burn fat if it is deficient in them, which will occur with prolonged, intensive exercise. For a more natural fat burner try green tea, ginger and chilli. Avoid anything loaded with too much caffeine, as these are the types of harsh thermogenics that tend to exhaust the adrenals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.activatenaturalmedicine.com
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for fat burners   Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:42 am

I've fairly recently been forced to rethink my views on meal frequency, due in part to new research & in part to working with people (particularly smaller females).
Covering the first one, the research there are now a few studies that show that meal frequency actually doesn't affect calories burnt at all. I think one reason the 'many meal' theory appeared was that bodybuilders need to eat a LOT of food & so splitting it up was the only option. I'll add a couple of links below - all from pubmed:

Increased meal frequency does not promote greater weight loss in subjects who were prescribed an 8-week equi-energetic energy-restricted diet. No difference in weight loss.

Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency. Having 2 meals or 3 meals a day made no difference to body composition, or energy expenditure.

Habitual meal frequency in relation to resting and activity-induced energy expenditure in human subjects: the role of fat-free mass. basically said the more energy you expended, the more often you tended to eat.

So it appears I was pretty much wrong with my thinking that more meals 'stoked the metabolic furnace' - it simply doesn't.

My work with smaller women also made it clear that you can't get a small women to split her low calorie daily intake into 6 or more meals. 3 or 4 meals works better a they actually feel they've eaten a meal.

I still think for those people eating a large calorie intake do better on 6 or more meals a day (when I was chugging 5-7,000 cal a day it was the only way to get it done!), even 3,000+ eaters do better with at least 6 meals in my view. For one thing stomach distension becomes an issue when you are trying to cram 1,000s of calories of food into your gut a few times a day, which could lead to some stomach stretching & a 'pot bellied' look. Eating many times a day never distends the gut too far & so lessens the chance of developing a saggy gut. Also it may be easier to digest a smaller meal rather than a gut-buster, so you may get more benefits from the food you eat.

So, to my mind it depends on the case how many meals a person should be eating. Basically the more you eat, the more often you should eat. At least that's where I am right now on my dietary guidelines, obviously that could change if new information comes to light.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net

Recommendations for fat burners
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1