Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

I move closer to Vegan...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

PostSubject: I move closer to Vegan...   Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:38 am

I am giving up shrimp, prawns, clams, oysters, crawfish, lobsters, and any other shellfish I think of later.

Elsewhere on this forum I mentioned in passing that a friend has an allergy to shellfish. This friend travels widely, and interestingly he can eat shellfish in Europe and in the far east, but not in the U.S.
It comes to light that it isn't the shellfish the friend is allergic to, it is the antibiotics that American-caught and American-raised shellfish are treated with.
Evidently the incidence of coliform and other dangerous bacteria is widespread because of urban water runoffs contaminating waters along the American coasts. The shellfish industry counters this by treating shellfish with increasingly large doses of antibiotics, however this information is not widely publicized and people who are allergic to antibiotics can have sever reactions, and can even die. The friend collapsed gasping for breath in a restaurant and was rushed to a hospital, barely surviving the experience. He now carries an EpiPen with which to inject himself with epinephrine if another such reaction happens.
In the meantime the bacteria are becoming increasingly resistant to stronger and stronger antibiotics and multiple-antibiotic-resistant organisms are common.
If the bacteria don't get you the antibiotics might.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I move closer to Vegan...   Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:23 am

That's interesting about the shellfish. Thanks for putting that up & good luck being shellfish free. For the transition you might want to think about a algae source of DHA, & maybe an ALA source (like walnuts, flax, hemp seeds or similar). Make sure you're still getting enough omega 3s while you make the move.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: I move closer to Vegan...   Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Add salmon to the list.

Farmed salmon are treated with antibiotics to counter disease outbreaks in their crowded pens, and the meat is dyed pink to resemble wild salmon (farmed salmon are naturally gray). Salmon farms contaminate the costal areas where they are established.

Wild salmon are higher in mercury than are farmed salmon. Wild salmon populations are declining because of over-fishing, climatic changes and human alterations in their habitat.

Last edited by Grayfox on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: I move closer to Vegan...   Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:00 pm

...And tilapia too.

The term "Tilapia" is applied to nearly a hundred species of cichlid fish, most of the tilapia that are marketed are hybrids of several species.
On the plus side, tilapia are high in protein and low in mercury.
On the minus side, virtually all of the tilapia found in stores are farm-raised, and virtually all farm-raised tilapia are male--because young tilapia are treated with hormones such as testosterone which reverses the sex of newly-spawned females in order to keep the population mostly larger, market-sized male tilapia.

I have all of the testosterone I need, thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I move closer to Vegan...   

Back to top Go down

I move closer to Vegan...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1