Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Magnesium Stearates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Magnesium Stearates   Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:15 am

I am a nutrition novice but I'm a bit bummed to read this morning to watch out for Magnesium Stearate, however, let's make sure it's clear this is new info to me, I don't know how serious this is. The verdict is still out.

This writer said sometimes Magnesium Stearate is added to "veggie powders" for "clumping". I've got some Garden of Life Perfect food and sure enough it is in there.

On the other hand, sometimes people push their own agenda and what they are selling.

The topic is open for feedback.

"These stearates, made by hydrogenating cottonseed or palm oil, are used throughout the supplements industry as lubricants. They are added to the raw materials in supplements so that production machinery will run at maximum speeds. These fatty substances coat every particle of the nutrients, so the particles will flow rapidly. This ensures that production schedules will meet profit targets."

http://www.drrons.com/beware-of-additives-in-supplements.htm

Just another thing to run by the forum of which I hope I'm not taxing it's attention as we are all busy but this struck me.

Kind of a downer though, I will say that. I'll consider it in ingredients.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Stearates   Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 pm

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbal/msg0419240511091.html

Sorry for sounding alarmist in this, Shocked

Sounds like the above discourse gives some insight to the issue. Also, I'm on good terms with the HF health food store here and they should be able to clue me in. Per above:

" While it's interesting to see an alt med advocate (in this case a naturopath) being alarmist about supposed "toxicity" in supplements, his argument has no more validity than when it's used to raise fears of "toxins" in pharmaceutical products.

What's lost on people like this is the principle that "the dose makes the poison".

There are lots of substances that can cause harm in excess (including, for example, water and table salt) but are innocuous or even beneficial in smaller amounts. The tiny amounts of stearates that wind up in pills of all sorts have not been shown to be a health hazard, either from "suppressing the action of T-cells" or by other means.

The claim that stearate binders in pills may dramatically decrease "absorption of nutrients" is a mistaken idea that apparently stems from confusion about the difference between capsules dissolving "in solution" (as opposed to being digested in the human body).

Whenever you hear supposed health advocates going on about "toxins" in everyday life or proposing ways to "detoxify" ourselves, a red flag should go up, as they probably have no idea what they're talking about. "

Not a bad tidbit of knowledge though to consider this Magnesium Stereate.

Best to go whole food again I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Court

PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Stearates   Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:24 pm

As a naturopath in training, I agree that there are trace amounts of toxins in a lot of things that we should not be too concerned about, but a lot will add up to a big burden on the liver. I would consider if the product will benefit me more than the additives will harm me. Also, when you realistically have the option, choose a safer alternative. I've learnt that I will never get all of the nasty chemicals out of my life, all you can do is minimise them, and look after your body as best you can. So while my sunscreen has chemicals in it, my shampoo, conditioner and hand wash doesn't, for example.
Interesting article though, I didn't know that about stearates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.activatenaturalmedicine.com
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Stearates   Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Court wrote:
As a naturopath in training, I agree that there are trace amounts of toxins in a lot of things that we should not be too concerned about, but a lot will add up to a big burden on the liver. I would consider if the product will benefit me more than the additives will harm me. Also, when you realistically have the option, choose a safer alternative. I've learnt that I will never get all of the nasty chemicals out of my life, all you can do is minimise them, and look after your body as best you can. So while my sunscreen has chemicals in it, my shampoo, conditioner and hand wash doesn't, for example.
Interesting article though, I didn't know that about stearates.

Thank you for your response.

Before I go on, may I ask Court or anyone else, embarrassing as it may sound, what do people do for deodorant?

Interestingly, after hearing about the Stearates, I read the label on another "like" product, this Barlean's greens and they don't have the stearates, it doesn't clump at all and actually probably does taste better and doesn't seem so dry. This brand tastes a lot like wheat grass which I think a lot of people can identify with. So once I finished off with the last product, I got this one and must say, I'm fairly satisfied.

Ah, but I do see Stevia* is in it. *Stevia- The natural sugar substitute which at first I liked but then came to see it is much like other sugar substitutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Court

PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Stearates   Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:15 pm

I use this:

http://sukinorganics.com.au/product.asp?id=15

it has 2 chemicals in it I wish it hadn't, but its from a very ethical company. I'm still on the lookout for a completely natural deodorant that actually works, but am always disappointed when I'm smelly in a few hours time, or as soon as I get the slightest bit sweaty. Crying or Very sad

Once I finish my studies I can get an ethanol licence (so I can buy and use straight ethanol to make my medicines with) and I might have a go with varying strengths of alcohol and essential oils. Alcohol seems to be the main ingredient in all deodorants I've found to be effective, but I wish there was an alternative.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.activatenaturalmedicine.com
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Stearates   Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Thank you for responding. I did not know anyone had responded to this thread until today in spite of checking in here daily. Pete's very helpful and knowledgeable with whatever ideas you might have, you should run it by him even consider making other threads as I did get off topic but it fit in this instant. Others are helpful too when they show up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Stearates   

Back to top Go down

Magnesium Stearates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1