Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Joe Weider

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

PostSubject: Joe Weider   Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:58 pm

This was intended to be posted on "People who have inspired me," but perhaps is valid here.
Tomorrow I'll edit both.

=======================

I've met people in the iron-elevation business who actively dislike Joe Weider. However it appears that some of these detractors are annoyed by the Weiders' (Joe and his brother, Ben) having built a successful industrial enterprise of bodybuilding.
Ben died in 2008. If my math and Googling are correct Joe is still with us at age ninety-one.
Even if Joe, et al, weren't the first to author the "Training Principles," at least the Weiders get credit for publicizing them ("Muscle Priority Training," "Pyramiding." etc.).

When I first began to play with weights I went through most of the usual beginner's lifting injuries until I was introduced to the Weider training program. I still got injured, but less so, and I made more progress following a systematic program.
Progressive training is an open-ended system, so no matter how long I pursue this sport I will always be a beginner, and gains are more difficult when one's Mighty Blasts consist of blowing out the candles on the birthday cake.
But I still have a copy of Joe's routines in my log book, and still rely on these to keep me on track.

Joe Weider deserves credit for providing support and direction, and for popularizing the sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 pm

Basically, I have a friendly reaction towards Joe Weider, I think he was/is a household name and though I may have seen some of his advertisements in comic books which I did read plenty as a kid, I think where I saw his ads were in American Football magazines. Somehow, I have always known who he was. But that's on a highly superficial level, kind of pop culture.

Just reading the reviews at amazon.com on Muscletown, USA which is about York barbell in fact, are interesting because a lot of the reviewers are reminiscing about how they'd maybe met Bob Hoffman back then and some people give disparaging views and other people are positive. Not for me to say, I always knew who Weider was but not much about York. Still makes for interesting reading.

Here is just a sample:

Quote :
"I just ordered this Book and can't wait to read what has been written about a true ledgend, Bob Hoffman. I have not even looked at this book yet but by all the negative garbage I have read by other reviewers I must exhort! I first met Bob in the 1960s while sitting at the HI-Proteen milkshake bar at the Old Gym that used to house the old "Weightlifting Hall of Fame" that was before they built the new one off Rt 83 in York. I lived in Baltimore so it wasn't really that far to take a day trip to York. Anytime I heard that guys from my neighborhood were planning a trip I always made sure that I claimed a seat in the car!
As I was saying when I first me Bob he walked through the door and stopped to talk to me and a couple of my friends who were enjoying protien shakes, his first words were,"Hi Boys, are you up here looking for some muscle" and the gave us a very friendly and fatherly grin. We all took turns shaking his hand and felt like we were in the presence of living royality.Meeting Hoffman that day was more important to me than if I had met Brooks Robinson, Johnny Unites and Tom Mattee all in the same day. You see I was on my way to making the sport of weightlifting and bodybuilding a life long way of life and after reading "Strength and Health" and only getting to know Bob through his publications at last I met the myth and was not at all disapointed!
While in my teens I lifted with several different groups and the main one back then was the old "Mayfield Barbell Club" on Chesterfield Ave. in Baltimore that had several impressive members and some very good DEL-Mar-Va competitors. Sure I read what some others wrote about AAU contest conditions and the way they were being held and most of it is true, but guess what- I would not want to trade anything for those great memories. Back then we all loved it (and I still love just thinking about it).

..."

http://www.amazon.com/Muscletown-USA-Hoffman-Culture-Barbell/product-reviews/0271018550/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=2

There are a few essay reviews like this over there. I can't vouch for any of this, the reminiscing though is fun to read if you have time.

I'll have to read the Weider reviews soon, I think I have already.

Who knows, maybe you've written over there. Here and there, I've made reviews at amazon.

------------------------------

I may have an ad or two too, if I can ever figure how to upload it, that host an image was confusing me the other day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 pm

I dislike him because he's effectively supported the drug invasion of strength training. Issue after issue with the same bloated drug users telling us their useless training routine which doesn't work unless you're taking insulin, growth hormone, three kinds of steriods, etc. I read his mags in the early 90's and a good number of the guys featured back then are already dead. I followed the useless training routines for a year or two and spent that time skinny and overtrained.

As much misinformation as Weider knowingly put out there I wonder at what point such behavior should be illegal.

Sorry to have such a diametrically opposed viewpoint. Maybe back in the 60's (and earlier) before the drugs took over, he was a more positive or at least relatively benign force.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:20 am

Actually Bob Hoffman brought in the first real drug program to the US weightlifting in the late 40's onwards. It also allowed him to tout loads of incorrect training routines & pretty much destroy the veggie side of physical culture over the next few decades - Weider came along as the athletic side diminished & 'size is everything' came along & strength & athleticism was no longer a concern for many, so he was there, but not a cause I wouldn't say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Sat May 08, 2010 10:47 am

http://www.sfd.pl/Dennis_Tinerino__American_Dream-t263126.html

Here's Arnie ... big but before he really was big... along with Dennis Tinerino, I understand who recently passed away, Rest in Peace.... http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/blogs/jerrybrainum/?p=199

------------

On Joe Weider, I think the magazines with his name on it cost an extra dollar just because of the name, I was reading "Muscle Mag", emusclemag.com , there rather are some good articles and more pages. Muscle Mag is mentioned in the Randy Roach book by the way on a reference.

Robert Kennedy is the editor, heck, he partners with Jack Lalanne I think in publishing some of JL's books, he writes an editorial which I'll try to type a little of here. I think he makes either a good or interesting/controversial point.

Quote :
(banner headline) What's wrong with Bodybuilding? It's time to restore this great sport. (end headline)

No guys, I'm not dissing our sport. I love bodybuilding. I've always trained and I will continue to train until my last breath.
But...the sport is not where it should be. True, more people are exercising with weights and weight-loaded machines than ever before in the history of the sport, but the "feel" associated with bodybuilding has disappeared.
Problem number one is the drug situation. SO many trainees are using super-high dosages of steroids and thus jeopardizing their health. Not only that, but excessive drugs build so much raw muscle that the body is robbed of it's individual personality. They all end up looking the same!
Back in the day you could put the pro bodybuilders behind a curtain, place a light behind them, and just from their silhouettes, you could identify each with total assurance. No (Not) so today.

I italicized that one part which is an interesting point of discussion. That seems to be true, a lot of these guys, yes, look alike, while look at someone like Grimek, Reg Park, Don Dorans etc. and they were very individualised in their builds and that list is close to endless.

Not to leave the rest to suspense, he continues:

Quote :
One more point. Bodybuilding needs a strong spokesperson - a man with muscles, charm, personality, derring-do ... a man with the ability to talk. In short, we need another Arnold to represent and lift the sport out of the basement from where its currently descending to.
Will someone out of the one million worldwide hardcore bodybuilders out there please step forward?

Well, I'm not too sure I agree with this part but the guy is trying to sell magazines, he probably was bold enough in his first paragraphs. The last few paragraphs are just about future improvements, asking for readers suggestion and that they are indeed putting together a sort of "golden era" edition forthcoming. No need to type all of that. http://www.emusclemag.com/index.php

Too bad the magazines now, some have all the "animal" and in fact, "carnivore" ads, probably dessicated liver and things like that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Sun May 09, 2010 4:10 am

The main trouble with magazines today is they are supplement catalogues. When was the last time you heard a magazine bad mouthing a major supplement sponsor about any of their products - every major company has 'fat burners' for example, & I'll say here fat burners are junk. Sure if you are down to 5% bodyfat & you need to reach that 4.5% for stage then maybe they will help, but if you eat one more teaspoon of potato or one extra ounce of rice you've more than covered any lose you'd ever get from any legal fat burner out there - diet works over a thousand times better than any fat burner. & yet when was last time you saw a magazine suggest you dump their sponsors fat burner & just sort out your eating...that's right never (they may on occasion attack a competitors products, but then mention how their version is the 'real deal'.
Makes me sick the idea of all these magazines selling so much to generally young males, convincing them that if they take 'Ultra-muscle ripped, pump-up juice' (or similar) they will end up looking like a steroid using bodybuilder in just 6-8 weeks Laughing
The only magazine I get these days is "Health & Strength' magazine. It features mainly natural shows & has old time features of the greats from yesteryear. I'd say it actually is one of the last physical culture magazines (along with maybe 'Milo' which is pretty good as well).
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Sun May 09, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm not plugging this magazine I read, it's good for a change and has some fair pointers, I've hardly even ridden the bike lately for all I talked of it.

I purchase mags like this a few times a year, it's got a lot fewer ads. But I wish we had Health and Strength over here, still the Weider ones do seem to profit from the namesake, everyone's heard of JW.

Preaching to a youth audience, that's a new one.

Yeh, I'll look around more at the magazines, just something to pick up once in awhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Sun May 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Looks like there is a magazine called "Natural Bodybuilding" out there in the US, supplement ads but maybe a number less. Verdict is still out on this, I read some.

Of all things, I went to the book agent, not really planning to, I picked up a kettlebell book by a woman (Lorna Kleidman) and browsed through it and ended up purchasing the darn thing: Laughing She seems real gung ho, I like the KBs but I rarely feel like doing a hundred swings or something, that's a bit monotonous but maybe she knows something, fairly good read so far, we will see what she has to offer.

Man I've seriously hit the weight machines at green's the past few days, relaxing today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   Mon May 10, 2010 3:36 am

There is a new magazine called "Iron Insider" if you go here & live in the US, you can get a free issue (the page is down for me, but hopefully it's back up once you read this). It's supposed to be ad-free!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Weider   

Back to top Go down

Joe Weider
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Training with weights-
Jump to: