Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 pm

They are making these, dried yams into very little nuggets one can eat. Not to make a sales pitch.

I've tried these mainly because they are an easy way to eat Yams. They have nutrition bars with these Yammits and there I draw the line and say "too much, don't need that" but these are enjoyable.

Their sales pitch says: "If you are active, your body needs slow releasing "safe" carbohydrates. Jay Robb introduces YAMMIT!, the world's first complex carbohydrate nuggets that are naturally derived from dried sweet potatoes. YAMMIT! is ideal for athletes, bodybuilders, active individuals, children, teenagers, and adults. High-Energy Cereal (Made From Dried Sweet Potatoes) Jay Robb YAMMIT! is a vegetable-source, complex carbohydrate from dried sweet potatoes. A diet rich in complex carbohydrates can allow you to avoid the typical sugar highs and lows that simple and refined carbohydrates can cause. Jay Robb designed this product to assist in the glycogen-loading phase of the Fat Burning Diet and glycogen loading for post-workouts. "

It's an interesting idea to me though I'm not aware of the science behind it. One could probably dry their own yams, but it would be one more thing to do. I want to make it clear, I do not hold Jay Robb to be my health or exercise guru or anything. Just info I thought I'd pass on.

For the record, ingredients are "Dried sweet potatos (Yams), sodium pyrophosphate (from natural sources), Tetrasodium pyrophosphate (from natural sources"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:29 am

Hey I'll be the same as Jay Robb (assuming I pass the exam) we'll both be clinical nutritionists Laughing

http://wellnesshour.com/index.php?option=com_seyret&task=videodirectlink&Itemid=11&id=77

Hmm, maybe I should consider every picture I have should be with my arms crossed looking at a slight angle too lol! ....It's important!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:37 am

As a side note if you have a need for a low protein carb to carry around they seem ok (certainly better than the average 'energy bar'), but bear in mind they aren't really a 'meal replacement' or even a very good snack alone if you are after maximum muscle gain, you'd be better eating some nuts for the extra protein & healthy fats, but again it depends on your exact goals. If you like them, then eat them I don't think they'd be bad for you I wouldn't have thought?
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:31 am

I have never seen any of the purported infomercials on TV of Jay Robb, I have watched a few videos (weight lifting instructions) of him at youtube and on one he goes into a rather nice looking building with his logo on the front but I'm not aware of his being real famous, this one store here is the only place that carries his products, the gym nearby seems to be a real muscle builders den.

Again, things like soy beans and wasabi peas bagged seem a fair idea to carry around.

Maybe I should see what other products the guy makes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:02 am

Damn been trying for ages to put up a funny Jay Robb video, but I can't get viddler videos to work even using HTML?
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:33 am

Here we go:

Now you can see that fantastic video I was trying to put up. I find it odd that you need to join his $10 a month coaching club AND buy his books AND buy his supplements...but I do like the wink at the end, that's cool ha haaa lol!

It took me days on the forum that runs this forum site to get that up, so I hope it's worth the wait Laughing Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:48 am

See there's a pattern:

Everyone's got their sales pitch.

Weiders, Celltech Klamath Lake Super Blue Green algae (which btw, I am not going to be convinced of wrong in the product itself per one Doctor's review), Melaleuca Australian Tea Tree, Scot Sonnen's Club Bells, Kettlebells by Pavel and the list goes on.

People have a racket or a sell, this kind of shows what Jack Lalanne did, probably pioneering the field as a health guru type yet, his beginnings were probably rather humble, in 1951 he got the local tv station to do his exercise show and then it got carried nationally a few years later. But from what I understand he eventually got into marketing vitamins and supplements.

Jay Robb's egg white powder from what I know doesn't foam up like most egg white powders do and are decently flavoured, the yams a good idea with me, I'm taken a bit back from him charging people $10 a month and all that but I probably won't stop the yams unless I start seeing him in some cheesey informercials. His egg whites too he claims are from "cage free" chickens.

It's like that Jillian Michaels woman who did the bad kettlebell swings in the picture. Now, she is a face of exercising and gag me, she is now on the cover of a brand of whey.

"...Packed with protein and fiber, each nutritious serving provides a low fat, great tasting snack that can help satisfy a hungry appetite, any time of the day. * " <--- with fibre so is this a new innovation? perhaps some to the usual whey seen in health food stores but probably not a totally new idea.

Kettlebells are cool, they really are, when I first saw one and how they were used, I decided I had to get me one or two but I'm probably average like most in that it should basically constitute 10% or less of my exercise regimen. So some of those out selling their goods have got to make it that their programmes are really central to ones exercising.

That book 'Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors' makes a good case of people doing such.

That book also makes a case that there have probably been times when a lot of the supplements were not that well thought out or researched when they first came out, not highly digestable, things like that. Obviously, supplements still are not that well thought out always with Hydroxicut a few years ago getting pulled from the shelves for being dangerous. etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:27 am

My main gripe was he wanted $10 a month for internet training AND to buy several books (I noticed one diet you would need to buy at least 2 books!), so you are paying for his 'personal training' (probably a cookie cutter course), then if you want details buy the books & of course it won't work without buying his supplements. When you take on internet clients, you should be looking at a minimum of weekly photo & email updates updates, regular phone consults, even stuff like video of exercises they might be having issues with. Any program that relies on specific brands of supplements should raise a red flag & make you consider the program VERY carefully. Everything you need should be given to you as part of an internet training program, if you need to be buying extra books etc then why do you need the 'personal training', that's what you are paying for to get the details you need, it makes no sense to me.

Buying an individual product like you're suggesting is fine, you know what you want, you know what you are getting, it's not an issue in your case, but suppose I said you have to buy the ingredients list separately (which is kind of what they appear to be doing with their personal training) you might think twice.

I actually didn't just go with one MDs view I had a look at the FDA stuff on the algae & checked out possible toxins found in that type of algae. There have been several batches grabbed by the FDA as contaminated, which means whatever benefits I wouldn't think it was worth suffering kidney failure over (as one person did) due to contaminated product. Basically it's safe a lot of the time, but now & again a contamination springs up & a batch causes some serious issues not found in other similar products (like spirulina), so why take a risk when you can have the same advantages, but no risk?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried   

Back to top Go down

Yams/Sweet Potatoes Dried
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1