Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

New member here from England

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randal

PostSubject: New member here from England   Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I've just found this forum and decided to join. I'm a male in my late 20s, have been vegan for a few years now (made the shift after being veggie) and want to get in shape after letting myself go over the last few years. I'm a beginner to all this stuff and am mainly looking for advice around diet and training as I am very much a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I recently bought a dumbell set and a chin up bar. I'd ideally like to build a decent chest and arms and get a toned stomach, although I'm not looking to be a bodybuilder. My ultimate physique is probably somewhere along the lines of Mac Danzig's.

Anyway, just checking in and saying hi!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:23 am

I know this sounds totally counter to your aims, but I'd focus a lot at the start of building your back & legs! All your everyday function comes from those & all your power. MMA guys spend a lot of time building those areas as those are where the power comes from when you fight. I'm not saying ignore the T-shirt muscles, but at least at first work hardest on the muscles you can't see so well in the mirror.
You should be able to sort a decent routine with chin-up bars & a pair of dumbbells. To be honest the 'toned' stomach is more about diet than exercise, you just have to lower the fat covering the stomach, some ab work will help build the abs up so they pop out, but mainly it's diet.
If you need any help with a specific training routine or dietary tips let us know & I'll give you some tips to get you started (& I'm sure others will have there own variations as well).
For a basic idea about eating you can go here & download a basic eating plan for a vegan starting strength training (it's in adobe acrobat format so you need to download abobe acrobat reader to read it - that's free)
Anyway keep us up to date with your training adventures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Randal

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks for the advice Pete. As I say I'm a newbie to all this, but am definitely willing to learn and listen to the experts.

I'd be grateful if you could suggest a routine to get me started and put on a bit of muscle, also a sample diet plan. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there regarding vegan muscle building diets. Is soy isolate safe? What would you say is the best vegan protein source?

Great forum btw!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:40 am

Sorry I forgot to reply!

A basic diet plan can be found here

OK for a training plan with dumbbells & a chin up bar at home for a newbie how about (I'm assuming you also have 2 high backed chairs):

Warm up: Start every session with 5 minutes of activity like rope jumping, star jumps, bending & stretching. Just get the blood flowing a bit

Day 1

Dumbbell squats 3x10

Dumbbell hang clean & press 3x10 (swing DB's up to the shoulder then press them above your head-if you haven't got secure collars, drop the clean part & just do a basic shoulder press)

Chin up 3x10 (palms facing you)

Dumbbell curl 3x10

Front plank 3x90 second holds (work up to this)

Day 2

Dumbbell step ups 3x10 (use bottom of staircase or low chair)

Dips 3x10 (using the backs of the chairs - you can hold dumbbell between feet when it gets too easy)

Dumbbell bent over row 3x10

Standing triceps extensions 3x10

Side plank 3x60 seconds each side (work up to this)

Day 3

Dumbbell deadlift 3x10 (if the discs on the DB's are too small you can start at the top & not lower completely to the ground, or you can put the bells on boxes, or you can try a straight leg deadlift as that allows more range of motion)

pull-up 3x10 (palms facing away from you)

push-up 3x25-50 (with push-ups you'll soon get these, from here work into plyo push-ups or one armed push-ups or some other method that keeps it hard - remember push-ups are as much a core exercise as anything else, so keep the glutes & abs tight, do not sag or overly flex the abdominal region - keep it flat, like a board)

Lateral raise 3x10

Crunches or sit-ups 3x10 (done slowly with a lot of contraction)

That should do for the first month or so. Basically start very, very light (lighter than you think), get the form 100% then slowly add weight or reps. Take your time to learn the movements.

Quote :
3x10 means 3 sets of 10 repetitions (reps) so you pick up a weight, do 10 reps, rest for a minute or 2, then do another set of 10 reps, then rest again & do the final set of 10 reps

Cool down with a couple of minutes of stretching

You don't need anything fancy when you first start training. Basically anything you do will make you grow. Just make sure you eat plenty & rest between sessions. Work out 3 times a week. First week just do 1 set of each with a light weight, second week do 2 sets & finally on the 3rd week bring in all 3 sets. Work on getting the movements right, then add weight. Take your time, muscles can only grow at a slow rate, you will be at this for years, so there isn't a hurry. Most people who rush to put weight on the bar either get injured or overtrain & so going slowly is actually the fastest way to make gains!

Sorry again about forgetting to reply to this straight away. If you need anything else just let me know.
Back to top Go down
Randal

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks Pete, that looks like a good routine. Much appreciated mate!

I'm still a bit unsure about the diet. I have read the document you linked to, but a specific weekly meal plan would be great, if it's not too trouble. Do you think it is worth buying soy protein isolate too?

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:04 pm

If you eat a lot of soya in a day you might want to try something like pea protein just so you get a variety of protein rather than just soya. Normally I'd be fine about doing you a basic plan, but I'm right in the final months of my nutrition course & need to focus on that. Also to do a decent job you need to write a food diary so we could get some idea of your present food intake & stuff about training & other life factors (likes stress other activities etc).
Something really generic could be:

Breakfast muesli or porridge or other wholefood breakfast cereal (or a protein shake)
mid-morning sandwich with a choice of filling (nut butter, yeast extract houmous etc)
lunch bean salad with rice
mid-afternoon bag of nuts
tea steamed potatoes, green veggies & tofu
supper protein shake

If you start to put on fat lower the portion sizes, don't drop meals, if you start feeling fatigued & losing lean mass add to portion sizes (or even an extra snack just before bed)

If you eat junk right now, begin by slowly swapping your junk choices for healthier ones (just watch your total calorific intake as it can drop too much if you're not careful).

Hopefully that will be of some help to you.
Back to top Go down
Randal

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks Pete, that looks pretty easy to follow.

I work weird shifts at work, so sometimes I miss breakfast and will have a cereal bar and something like a banana for breakfast. When I'm not at work I tend to have something like muesli with added seeds, sliced banana and soy milk. Lunch is usually a green salad with dressing and mock meat or mixed beans. Alternatively I may pack sandwiches of salad and mock meat with wholemeal bread. I may snack on more fruit during the day or soy yogurts. Dinner can be a variety of things, often something like Fry's schnitzels and green beans with hummus. I drink nettle tea and green tea and sometimes tea with soy milk. I sometimes like a beer on a Friday night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

One tip for drinking beer is if you drink more than a pint swap between alcoholic & non-alcoholic. Ideally have 1 pint of water for every 1 pint of beer (or if it's a long night you've got planned 2 pints of water between every pint). That way you'll drink less beer, still have a good time, still be hydrated at the end of an evening, be less likely to have such a bad hangover the next day as well! It will also save you cash cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member here from England   

Back to top Go down

New member here from England
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1