Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

What's your meal plan?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kosai

PostSubject: What's your meal plan?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get some ideas of a meal plan from someone already bodybuilding on a vegan diet. It would really be helpful to see the meal plan for a typical day when that person is working out.

I realize each person has their own goals, requires a set amount of calories, has different body types,etc... I just wanted to get a sample of what kind of things people are eating.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:37 am

I'm not a bodybuilder as such I'm a personal trainer who tries to stay in good shape (not jump on a stage in pants Laughing ).
My basic plan revolves around eating 6 times a day.
An average day might be

Museli
Grilled tofu & salad
Grilled gluten-free burger quinoa & greens
Pre-workout supplements
post workout supps
Protein shake
bag of nuts
Protein shake

That's an example I haven't got a need to be ultra strict on my eating. I have cheats if I want them as fat isn't an issue with me (I find it hard to add mass). Sometimes I have extra protein with the muesli, depending on how hungry I feel. I might make another meal instead of nuts in the evening using a fake meat, beans or similar. If I'm travelling or out for the day I pack up tubs containing grilled tofu, burger, tempeh or fake meat & green salad..oh yea & water I always pack a ton of water when I travel as well.
I'm sure the other people have much more exciting eating plans than mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
john machin

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:09 am

Kosai, I’ve spent the last 20 years eating mainly raw. To accommodate the demands of weight-training, I include protein powders of varying kinds. They’re necessary to keep my daily calories up around 3,000-3,300 (I’m 5’6”; 73kg), the level currently needed for growth. This will increase as my weight increases.
The way this knits together is: 200-250g of protein/low GI carb shakes in several 20g-100g servings daily. The meals are otherwise raw – generally, red grapes, citrus fruit, apples, shallots, broccoli, and tomatoes. The solid foods are included in four 500-calorie meals a day. Protein/low GI carb shakes every 1-3 hours, including a 30g night-feed, ~ 3am.
I also include vitamin-mineral supplements and specific other micro-nutrients such as quercetin, Co-Enzyme Q10, ginseng and pycnogenol, along with anabolic-specific supplements – ZMA, creatine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, BCAAs and taurine. Use guarana or caffeine or a brand NO formula pre-workouts.
Sounds weird, but I’ve been doing this for years and it works for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wwww.placeinumbria.com
Ben

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10 pm

I aim for at least 150g of protein a day, so my meal plan looks like this.

Breakfast: whole grain mini-wheats (not Nestle!) and soya milk: 25g
Snack: Protein shake made with rice milk (less protein but nicer tasting)+fruit: 25g
Lunch: soya mince based recipe e.g. lasagne, chilli or shapherd's pie: 25-30g (i make a big bacth at the weekend and divide into 5. I add something like black-eyed beans to bring it up to over 125g)
Snack: Protein shake & fruit
TRAIN
Snack: Protein shake & fruit (as I'm leaving the gym)
Dinner: something like grilled tofu & veg, or Fry's excellent vegan burgers
Snack: handful or dried soya nuts

Don't count calories at the mo'... it's my next job: if I feel extra hungry then I eat. I try to avoid processed sugars (except on saturdays!)

Hope this helps

Ben
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kosai

PostSubject: Thanks!   Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:26 am

Thanks for the help guys,

The info has definitely helped.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HarryDosanjh

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:15 am

I'm a lacto vegan so I do have dairy products, this is my meal plan at the moment:

8 am - Oats with skimmed milk
Protein Shake

11am - Protein Shake

1 pm - Tofu, with salad

4 pm - Meal Replacement Shake

6.30pm - Gym

8 pm - Post Workout Protein Shake

9 pm - Nuts / Seeds, fruit etc.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this and whether they beleive it's a good diet and what I could change.

I work as an accountant so I'm at a desk all day which means the only time I really burn calories is in the gym.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:02 am

Your diet seems "OK", not outstanding as you rely on shakes a lot, but a lot depend on your exact goals. A couple things you might want to do is add a greens supplement into your shakes, as you only have one meal of greens a day (in your salad).
Consider your post workout shake. You've just finished exercising & your body is in a pretty acid state (training increases body acidity levels), now suppose you have a shake with a highly alkalising food, say a protein shake with spirulina in it (spirulina is very alkalising), now you'd have an aid to returning the body to a normal ph level, an influx of magnesium (any green food contains high levels of magnesium, which is a real aid to muscle growth as abundance of magnesium & potassium really sends out signals that it's time for muscles to grow - given the right stimulus), you also get a shot of nutrients you'd miss otherwise. It is an easy way for those of us who don't eat so many leafy greens to get the benefits of a green plant. You could also try out those powdered greens as a useful additive to shakes. If you prefer you could blend up fresh or frozen greens & add those, but getting a decent amount of these sorts of products will really boost your health over the long term (& thereby increase your training & your results). That's the obvious first issue.
Next is your EFA (Essential fatty acid) intake. I'd include one or two tablespoons of ground flax in your morning oats. Add them after you've cooked them. It doesn't add too many calories but will add a world of benefit to your joints, cell repair & construction, your immune system, your brain function & health & even your mood! If you're a real hard trainer you might also want to add in a couple of DHA pills later in the day, just to guarantee you've got enough for repair. Basically these EFA's serve several functions. Flax contains an EFA called ALA, it serves a function that is often overlooked by people who hype fish oil (mainly DHA & EPA). ALA is an anti-inflammatory (yes DHA is as well, but they use different pathways to achieve results, so having ALA & DHA gives better results in terms of reducing inflammation), so ALA will aid in recovery from exercise. ALA is turned in DHA & EPA through a series of chemical reactions, hence some people do take DHA (derived from sea algae, not the more common fish derived type - the stuff from algae is what the fish eat to get their levels of DHA/EPA, so eating the algae directly you are eating lower down the food chain, so less pollution & obviously you save the fish). So, taking some flax everyday & if you feel a need a couple of DHA pills later in the day you'll have all the omega 3 EFA's you'll ever need. There is another type of EFA called omega 6, but you eat nuts, most oils & nuts contain all the omega 6 you'll ever need, it is very rare that you don't have enough omega 6 fatty acids & almost impossible if you eat nuts or seeds regularly.
If you're having that many protein shakes a day I might consider varying the types of protein you ingest. Buying from a bulk supplier you could have say a hemp for Breakfast, rice for mid-morning, post workout a isolate like pea would be good. Having the same protein for every shake isn't the best thing to do in my view. I know some guys mix proteins & take that throughout the day, but I like to take different stuff for different times. I like hemp AM as it's the best tasting, so easy to get down, contains some omega 3 EFA's & is one of the least processed protein powders about - ok hemp protein concentrate is only 50% protein, but with the oats & milk you're looking at around 30 grams of protein with one scoop of hemp, some porridge made with milk (whether soya or other). For post workout I prefer an isolate - which means it's 90% plus protein, whether that is hemp (pretty expensive stuff for the isolate), pea or soya it doesn't matter - I do tend to avoid soya protein powder simply because I drink soya milk & have tofu, tempeh, miso etc so don't want too much of any one food, but it's good stuff in terms of growth benefits you can get by taking it (& cheap).
Supplements I tend to recommend are:
1/ A good multi- vit/min pill (just in case)
2/ Vitamin D 3-5,000IU's per day especially in winter (if you get out in the sun in summer then I wouldn't worry about it so much during the warmer months)
3/ DHA (if you're concerned - this is purely an option I suggest for hard training athletes as it can do no harm, but might just help longer term health & so aid you to stay in the game as you age - most guys drop out by 40, don't be one of them!
4/ Glucosamine - if you have joint issues then give it a go. If you haven't then it's not vital at all, but might be ok (glucosamine aids collagen production, so helps skin stay young, so if you fancy young looking skin that keeps nice & tight, you might want to invest Cool )
5/ MSM - again good for joints, if you have issues take it.

Adding to shakes - here's a few things you might want to add to your shakes:

6/ Spirulina (not that nice tasting, but a real powerhouse with 50% protein, high in vits & mins, anti-oxidants etc
7/ greens powder (any type they're all about the same)
8/ kelp powder - you'd only need say a quarter of a teaspoon or so a day, but it's a real mineral powerhouse. Again not the best tasting, but there you go
9/ Brewers yeast - full on B-vitamins, high in protein. Old time bodybuilding food
10/ Wheat germ oil - sold in it's time as a bodybuilding super food. Hoffman (of York barbell fame) sold it as an energy food back in the day. Used by all the greats of the mid-20th century until steroids destroyed the health aspect of the sport

That's not everything you can take & I haven't even delved into training supplements. Things I also take are a separate B-vitamin complex (including B12). I often try out supplements, but the most effective (outside of protein powder) is creatine, if you suffer illness quite often then glutamine, if you lose muscle mass easily then BCAA's...the list could go on as there are 1001 supplements out there (although many are junk).
Hopefully that'll be enough for now, if you need anything else just let me know
Back to top Go down
HarryDosanjh

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:17 am

Wow thanks Pete. Although I know the faults in my diet with taking the same shake many times and not enough greens etc. this has been a really big help.

Can you suggest a multi vit pill? I'm just taking one from Holland and Barratts at the moment.

Sorry if I'm being dumb but what is DHA?

I don't know too much about protein shakes apart from whey or casseine, and concentrate or isolate. I'm taking whey isolate at the moment. Do you think I should be taking whey isolate after a workout and casseine during the day and maybe before bed?

Thank you for the rest of your points, I will look in to all of the recommendations and change my diet accordingly. Then I'll come back to steal some more of your brain lol.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:23 am

To be honest any multi-vit/min pill will be ok. I buy one online from healthspan, but it's convenient as I get my DHA from there.
DHA is short for Docosahexaenoic acid (hence we always call it DHA Very Happy). DHA is an essential fatty acid (EFA). It is a type called omega-3. It is most commonly found in fish oil pills, but recently they found that you could grow sea algae & harvest that to get DHA directly from that. It's arguable if you need to take DHA as an athlete. Theoretically you can convert the oils from flax seed, hemp or walnuts (amongst others) from another omega-3 fatty acid called ALA (alpha-Linolenic acid) & make that into DHA, but some studies have implied it's possible to not convert enough ALA into DHA...but it hasn't been shown that this IS the case, just that it CAN BE the case in certain individuals, so people are divided about the need for DHA as a separate supplement or if simply adding in flax during you first meal is enough - as a note you should get in your flax first thing as other nutrients compete for the same enzymes that convert ALA to DHA, so eating it early gives it the best chance of maximising conversion & so getting enough DHA as you need.
The way I recommend you take flax is to get a coffee grinder (you can buy a cheap one from argos or similar) & just grind up 1 or 2 tablespoons daily, mix them into your oats (after they are cooked, the oil doesn't do well when heated & can turn rancid), that's it. If you want extra insurance, then buy some DHA pills & take them later in the day, anytime you like. If you have joint issues, arthritis or similar you might want to take this just incase.
First off neither whey nor casein is actually vegan, they are derived from milk. Whey is a faster absorbed protein so is usually taken post workout, & casein is usually taken at night as it absorbs more slowly... but options are adding a small amount of fat to any protein slows absorption more than just changing a protein, so say you took hemp protein concentrate which has some EFA's in it, it would be an ace night time protein as it'd get into you slowly over a few hours, on the other hand it wouldn't be my first choice for an after exercise protein, I would have a pea or soya protein, or even a rice concentrate (although rice & hemp concentrates have similar protein levels, hemp leans more towards protein/healthy fat, while rice leans more towards protein/carbs), I tend to steer clear of fats post-workout.
Bear in mind diet is an ongoing process for us strength athletes, as we grow & the weights get heavier our needs change, so keep an eye on how you react to any change & try to change one thing at a time so you can see how each addition is affecting you.
Keep us up to date with how you're getting on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your meal plan?   

Back to top Go down

What's your meal plan?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1