Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Equipment & Hardware

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

PostSubject: Equipment & Hardware   Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:24 pm

The rack arrived today. It was in three individual boxes so heavy that the delivery guy had to call an ambulance to get back to his truck, I hid in the back room until he was gone.
I spent most of this afternoon assembling the thing--Gawd's own Erector Set. It's a pretty good workout just sorting the large metal pieces and getting them bolted together in the correct order. Also a knowledge of Conversational Chinese is helpful in reading the instructions.

I did get the whole schmeer together, then tried it out as a safety measure for benching. It works, and would prevent a falling bar from removing my head.
And no matter what the rack cost it is less expensive that a rib-cage transplant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:32 am

Nice one! you'll have to shoot a pic of how the new set up looks like, you've got an awesome gym set up for yourself there & I for one am very envious!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:56 pm

I have taken a couple of pix of my gym, but haven't downloaded them yet. May get some free time next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Looking forward to that Cool
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Here’s a snapshot of my gym with the rack in place.

After our earlier discussion about the joys of being crushed under a stray barbell I’m glad to have the rack in place.
However things are getting crowded at that end of the gym so I may move some of the equipment around.
And the rack would work better with a simple flat bench rather than the multi-station home-gym bench I’m using now, so I will probably build a new flat/incline bench--maybe next weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 am

I could live there!!! Twisted Evil (how come there isn't an emoticon for envy!!!!)
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Yeah, I get a buzz out of the place.
What you see in the photo is about half of the area. Next weekend I'm going to try to rearrange things. Probably build that flat bench I mentioned, then move the multi-station bench to the other end of the room, where it will sit next to my almost-antique rowing machine.
Will probably move the body-bag so it's not so close to the iron--right now it would be possible to deliver a roundhouse kick into the metal stanchion of the rack, which would be memorable.

This layout looks like a lot of toys and hardware, but with the exception of the recently-purchased rack, and the long-ago purchased pull-down, most of these things were picked up from garage sales and flea markets, or home-built over a period of years so it hasn’t been a substantial investment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:09 am

Finished the new bench last week. It's made of wood rather than welded steel, but I have no doubt that it's strong enough that you could park a truck on it.
It works well with the rack, and moves out of the way of the body-bag.

I moved the old bench to the other side of the room, so now that end looks cluttered.
But I'll use the leg-lift and preacher-curl on that bench, and keep the press-bar lightly loaded for warm up.

Oh, and in the foreground is my almost-antique rowing machine. Five dollars at a surplus sale. I pretend that I'm beginning to row across the Atlantic, but presently I would just be clearing Boston harbor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:52 am

Very nice, the rower is a nice touch. I was trying to read the brand name of it. Can you tell us?

Now, this is an old rower.

Overall, I think rowing machines for right or wrong, are considered easy going exercises. Yes, they can be strenuous if you really work at it. I think they are a bit relaxing after other serious exercises.

I know the big Rowing Machine manufacturer is Encore and they have online competitions to see who rows the fastest and all that.

Sculling has quite an interesting history, it would be fun to do the real thing, I forget the other movie on it dealing with the University competition in England on it but Blue Boy which is from around the turn of the century (1900s) is good.

Some of the old encores still have some wood to them so though the new ones are probably better, too much steel and plastic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm not sure who built my rowing machine, I'll turn it over and see if there's a manufacture's name on it anywhere.

The one you posted is wonderful...! It's worth having if only for its antique value.

I agree that rowing is a gentle exercise, a good way to cool down gradually at the end of a session.
When the weather is nice, as it is now in the Spring, I slide back the shoji, and drag the rower out onto the deck where there's a view of the lake. Every now and then an eagle comes by...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Concept2 I believe is the name of the rowing machine makers not Encore which I said and one can tell there is some lettering on your machine but it is not clear from the picture, it is not that important.

"The boy in blue" with Nicolas Cage is based and let's say loosely based (really, with Hollywood and in fact, most movies you never know, the Damned United about Clough being another good example) on a true story of this rower from Canada and he became a champion in the USA, Canada and Great Britain, he went over and rowed on the River Thames.

Very nice photo on the lake and your Doji if that is what you said, yes, back in college I'd listen to one of those Samurai books, not the art of war which Sun Tzu is probably Chinese or something but some other one, Japanese from back around that time, I had it on cassette. I know it ends with the author extollling something about reaching "nothingness", sort of a Nirvana type deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:38 am

The audio tape might be "Zen and the Samurai," by D. T. Suzuki. It's a four-cassette set, available through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Samurai-D-T-Suzuki/dp/1559273550
It's one that I sometimes listen to while working out, although I envy Suzuki for being able to correctly pronounce the Japanese names.

"Mushin" is the state of "no-mind" that a Samurai warrior strives to achieve. For example, in a sword fight the Samurai cannot be thinking about his opponent, his weapon, nor himself.
A somewhat over-simplified Western illustration is touch-typing--thinking about the location of the keys on the keyboard or about one's fingers while typing, is not only distracting, it is irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:46 am

Go Rin No Sho , The book of Five Rings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Five_Rings

That's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 am

I've listened to "The art of war" in audio format. It was ok for jogging along the beach. I might have to try out those others - not that I'm into conflict or that other areas of life should be treated as combat situations like some people appear to think, but I'm interested in the philosophical thinking behind the ideas.
Just noticed that "Zen & the samurai" is a cassette, not mp3 not good for a modern 21st century guy Laughing
Maybe if someone will rip it at some point?
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 am

On this topic, everyone interested would find "Bones of the Master" by Crane a good book, this was just published within the last several years. Our library in fact had it.

"The last of the monks from his Chinese monastery, Tsung Tsai felt he had to return one last time to find and honour his master's bones and rekindle his tradition. Crane recounts their joint adventure, opening with Tsung Tsai's harrowing decades-earlier escape from newly communist China, walking from Inner Mongolia to Hong Kong (my note, what a long way, that is basically all of China, North South and then some) through a war-torn, famine-struck, psychotic land, nearly starving along the way. Crane, a self-styled hedonist ne'er-do-well, who says that meditation makes him nauseous, sets the stage for an entrancing buddy story back to China with this highly disciplined but carefree Zen master. As their affection grows, Crane absorbs Tsung Tsai's spare but demanding philosophy, which sustains them through the base poverty of northern China ..."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bones-Master-Journey-Secret-Mongolia/dp/0553379089

http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Master-Journey-Secret-Mongolia/dp/0553379089

"...Though not as widely discussed as the Cultural Revolution, China's Great Leap Forward (1957-1963) also inspired an internal struggle among Chinese Communist Party leaders. As they argued about the pace and type of development best suited for China, famine settled upon the land, killing tens of thousands and affecting millions. In 1959, the monks of Puu Jih Monastery knew they had to leave in order "to keep Buddha's true mind alive." Tsung Tsai, the youngest, journeyed alone through the heart of China to Hong Kong, eventually settling in Woodstock, N.Y."

And this Monk, Tsung Tsai was actually part of (from what I can tell, they both came from Inner Mongolia and both had Master's that lived to be 110 years old, unfortunately killed in the violence of the times) the same Monastery as Venerable Master Hsuan Hua. http://www.cttbusa.org/ VM Hua established this place in California.

All of that is a lot of reading and does not need to be reiterated or read again but I've read some of his writings and he's about as strict as anyone concerning morals...he went to Australia once upon a time and lived off of orange peels.

I agree, I'm not as much in the combative part of the issue.

------------

Of all things, Venerable Master Hsuan Hua was cremated but his bones attained a sharira or patina, this is seen as a sign that he possibly indeed obtained Nirvana or some elevated state of being.

"According to historical records, the people of ancient India used the term "sharira" to refer to rice grains. After Shakyamuni (here they mean the first Buddha or at least the first known Buddha or earthly Buddha) entered Nirvana and his body was cremated, there were bone relics resembling five-colored pearls, luminous and hard, about the size of grains of rice, and they were called sharira. It is recorded in the Sutras that sharira are gained through being permeated by the cultivation of precepts, samadhi, and wisdom. "

http://www.advite.com/sf/life/life10-9.html (with pictures)

Though I have problems believing in Reincarnation and indeed, V.M. Hua's writings have fantastic things happening in them with tales of demons which one would find hard to believe and he tells the reader in fact, "you may not believe this but it happened." So what in the world?

"About 4,000 to 10,000 of Hsuan Hua's sharira seeds were found after his ashes were scattered, among them included teeth sharira. The many sharira that were found consisted of many colors. Some of the sharira which were formed on the bones even gleamed like green jade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsuan_Hua

Now that's what I call real body building! Wink

Last edited by PhysCultureFan on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 pm

A friend of mine had The book of Five Rings, so he's doing me a copy so I can listen next time I jog alone.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:17 pm

"...Now that's what I call real body building!"

Of questionable taste, but authentically witty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:22 pm

"...Just noticed that "Zen & the samurai" is a cassette, not mp3 not good for a modern 21st century guy
Maybe if someone will rip it at some point?..."

Uhh... Well, not right away, but sometime this summer probably...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:33 am

Hey GF you'll have to learn those quotation boxes (the two speech bubbles in the list of options above where you type), so when you quote it looks....

Quote :
Like this

You can even put the name of the person quoting like:

GF said:
Quote :
Uhh... Well, not right away, but sometime this summer probably...

The way I do it is I paste the quote, highlight it, then while it's all blue & highlighted click the 'Quote' button
Here you go I'll do a very quick pic:

...I think doing this final essay for my course is turning me into super anal-man! Having to reference every statement can do that to a person. Need to get started on my bibliography as well as that's going to be massive!

If you ever do rip that book you'll have to let me know as I'd be interested in a copy - no hurry I've got loads to keep me busy as I'm finishing this course then straight onto getting the credits to renew my personal training certification (that'll be ANOTHER course) so no break for a while!
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:36 am

Quote :
The way I do it is I paste the quote, highlight it, then while it's all blue & highlighted click the 'Quote' button
Here you go I'll do a very quick pic:

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:17 am

Nice one cheers
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   Thu May 20, 2010 6:31 pm

I finally remembered that PhysCultureFan asked about the manufacturer of my wrowing machine.
From the tiny tag on the underside of the machine I proved that "anything can be found on the Internet":

"ROBICSOR--- DISCONTINUED. RETAINED IN DATABASE FOR REFERENCE. --- Rowing machines. Aluminum or steel frames. Hydraulic cylinders attached to rowing arms. Rowing resistance adjustments, padded seat that slides smoothly on ball bearing rollers [yeah, sure...thirty years ago]], rowing arms operate independently 60 to or in tandem.
Walton Manufacturing Co. Dallas, TX.
To the best of our knowledge, this company no longer sells assistive products. We list inactive companies for reference purposes only. The contact information listed is the last known for this company; current contact information is not available. If you have updated information on this company..."

But I much prefer the antique rowing machine with actual wooden parts that was posted earlier on this thread.

However my Pull-Down machine can be modified for Seated (back-breaking) Rows, and I sometimes conduct them that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Equipment & Hardware   

Back to top Go down

Equipment & Hardware
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1