Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

What's a good starting point?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kosai

PostSubject: What's a good starting point?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been taking a look at a lot of information on raw food diets and being a vegetarian and it just clicked that it really is the most healthy way to live. I'm seriously thinking about transitioning from meat to only veggies. Was wondering what is a good start point for someone who is also into bodybuilding? Protein seems to be the key but how can I get enough in without eating massive quantities of food?

I imagine here is the place to get that kind of information.

What would be a good starting point on my journey to developing a diet that's right for me?

Hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers

Allix
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's a good starting point?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 am

You need to focus on a good variety of energy dense foods & foods that are high in protein. The exact make-up of your diet should be based on your goals (so for example a powerlifter trying to go up a weight class won't eat the same as a bodybuilder trying to cut).
The ideal way to go is to calculate your calories intake now & approximate macro nutrient profile (write a food diary for several days, then calculate how much of everything you are eating). Then go for a little above that in terms of the vegan alternatives (you go a little higher because the extra fibre will lower the total calories absorbed).
Food wise for protein things like seitan, tofu, tempeh, fake meats, beans, nuts & grains all have fare amounts of protein in them. Most bodybuilders (whatever their diets) also take in a protein powder. You don't need to, but it makes life a little more convenient. You can have hemp, rice, pea, soya, there are also quite a few blends out there as well.
Bear in mind ANY change of diet can take a while for the body to adjust.
I don't know your size or details about you, but if you're average size or above then 5 or 6 meals are a good way to go, very small people can do as well with 4 (especially if they're cutting).

If you are a meat eater or veggie now & are considering moving on to an animal-free diet. I would invest in recipe book &/or convert some of your favourite meals to vegan versions. Just make sure you keep the calories a little above your previous levels or you will lose size.
For a more detailed plan you can download our Vegan nutrition for strength athletes in pdf format or in Word format.
Hopefully that's been of some help, if you need anymore advice after reading the downloads feel free to reply.
I'm sure a few other will probably want to add a thing or 2 to my quick reply (I'm just about to run out the door this second!).
If you are after specific recipes then I'm not really your man as my cooking skill..well I don't really have any cooking skills No ..hmm makes me think, maybe we should have a recipe forum?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Kosai

PostSubject: Re: What's a good starting point?   Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks for the info...it has definitely been useful.

Cheers

Alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: What's a good starting point?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:16 pm

In my case the problem is bread.
With all due modesty I am a pretty good baker,
and My Lady likes the bread I make. But good, nutritious yeast-risen bread requires gluten, eggs, dairy and yeast.
I'm open to suggestions...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's a good starting point?   Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:44 am

I used to email a vegan baker in Canada - I'm not sure I've got his email anymore as it was a few 'computer deaths' ago, but I'll have a look. I could also pop down Infinity foods - that's a pretty big wholefood co-op they make most of their baked goods suitable for vegans & the bread is ace - the non-gluten, well...it isn't so hot, a little chewy (made with tapioca or similar as I remember), but if you are a pretty good cook it's supposed to be pretty easy to knock out wheat bread that is vegan (assuming you do it using yeast & wheat flour).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's a good starting point?   

Back to top Go down

What's a good starting point?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1