Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

This is Jay from West Virginia, US

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: This is Jay from West Virginia, US   Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm Jay. I'm on the old WIP page from the main part of Pete's site. (Can't seem to link to it.) I'm glad to see Pete has this forum up. Hope it does well. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is Jay from West Virginia, US   Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:25 pm

This Jay?
Great to have you here! We're slowly building up as news spreads about there being a new place to hang out online.
Are you still powerlifting mate? If so what goals are you setting for '10?
Keep us up to date with what you're up to training & diet-wise...as I remember weren't you a lower-protein eater (I could well be wrong about that it was a long, long time since we've spoken), did you stick to that, if so how has it been going? If you did change to higher protein I want to know why as well (there's no escape answer questions Twisted Evil )
Speak later
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is Jay from West Virginia, US   Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:35 am

OK well very briefly here, I herniated a disc from the deadlifts and squats so I no longer do either. To be honest neither ever really felt quite right. Getting down that last little bit to grab the bar for a deadlift or to get parallel for a squat I guess must have always meant not quite keeping my back straight enough? Not sure but despite reading all kinds of articles about proper form... neither ever felt right and perhaps some people just aren't built for either.

Anyway I was trying a high volume workout I guess 4 or so years ago. And started getting sciatica pain. So, then I switched to what I figured were 'safe' light weights. And that was a mistake. (I should have completely rested till the sciatica went away I guess.) I had done like an 80 rep set of squats with 135 pounds and then was using a weight about that light and herniated a disc.

Which was an agony definitely worth avoiding. A long term agony actually as 4 years later I still have issues occasionally. I've tweaked my back twice in the last few years since I originally hurt it leaving myself bedridden for almost a week and being so bad off it hurt to breath.

Other times I've had periods of months where I'd always wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning with my back hurting so from laying down that I just couldn't do so any longer.

But, at the moment my back is feeling fine. I think perhaps a big part of the problem is that I haven't been doing stuff to try to get it strengthed back up. Even the slight twisting motion of running can really strengthen it, (when I manage to stick with it regularly, which I'm once again getting back into).

But definitely not taking anymore chances with deadlifts and squats. Suspect It seems to me to really be playing with fire...

As to protein I'm continuing to get maybe 40 or 50 grams a day while weighing around 230 or so pounds. In the past few years I mainly tried to get a one arm chinup but sadly never managed to do so and beyond a bit of jogging am just following a low volume rather nonchalant version of grease the groove right now. Which I could probably do 20 chinups at the moment and 25 dips. Trying to get back into things now that I've finished up my last degree and have more free time for exercise.

For me a big part of sticking with exercise was scientific curiosity. And I'm out of that curiosity as I think I've just about tried about every possible variation... Since then it's been a bit harder to stick with regular exercise.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is Jay from West Virginia, US   Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:41 am

Sounds like you had a rough ride in terms of injury. It is true that some people simply aren't built for certain exercises. You can do pretty well doing forms of one leg squats , pistols or even belt squat variations if the back is an issue, deadlifting, you can do rack pulls (many bodybuilders never lift off the floor) one leg, or even one leg one arm deadlifts.
I'm lucky that I'm nowhere near exhausting possibilities & training variations - infact as it stands right now I doubt I'll be able to cover every variation if I'm experiemnting constantly for the next few decades! There is so much out now (& new stuff all the time).
Have you looked at the Mike Boyle stuff about squats & Grey Cook stuff about deadlift - I think you'd especially like Cook, he's a physio & goes into details about back & the core (all of which would be relevant to you). He bases his work of the studies done by Stuart McGill who also has a couple of super-techie books about how to work the back & why abdominal flexion (crunches etc) are actually bad for the back (I'm not sure I agree completely with McGill, but I do believe that anti-rotation & stability should be worked as a major part of 'ab' work, technically 'core' work I suppose). I think you'd enjoy these guys as they are quite scientific about their training & explain things very much based on the latest research. They might also give you some variations that don't hurt the back, but still allow some form of progression, that might be with or without some form of squat or deadlift.

Here's a brief bit called the death of squats by Mike Boyle. I'm STILL waiting for his new FSC 3 DVD set (it's been ages now) which more fully explains his ideas. To be honest I'll not give up squats as I still have hopes of competing myself at some point, so back squats are a must (although I have been experimenting with more uni-lateral lifting, like Bulgarian split squat - that is using a safety squat bar as balance is a bit of an issue for me on one leg!).
One question I read back on your WIP page, did you ever make a 350 bench?
Anyway see you on the board mate & feel free to add a training log as I'd be interested to see what you've been up to (I must admit I've been so busy mine has slacked a bit the last few weeks. I'll have to try & find time to get up what I'm doing now as it's a little different from my last cycle).
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is Jay from West Virginia, US   Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Thank you Pete. I will check that stuff out.

I'm afraid I got away from even doing benches and never went beyond 300. For experimental purposes I focused primarily on chinups/pullups (as they didn't require a spotter or even bothering to go to a gym or anything beyond a door chinup bar) and just did relatively light pressing movements. Pushups and dips mainly.

I did do 180 chinups in 30 minutes. Which only made me weaker actually. Also 90 chinups with 50 pounds attached to me in 30 minutes. Which accomplished nothing.

...I suppose there's still some things to experiment with though. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is Jay from West Virginia, US   Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:10 pm

That's interesting stuff, you'd certainly compete with John our resident pulling king in terms of chins. In my younger days when I did trapeze I could a one arm chin, since the shoulder probs though reps have been well down for me & I noticed a definite weakness in pulling vertically especially (not so much horizontal rowing moves), may actually be a small instability or some other issue stopping the firing rather than anything else, but over time obviously some atrophy does occur, so no doubt I'm a lot weaker pulling than I used to be, a shame really as one armed chins look cool Twisted Evil
Being able to pull for that many reps is pretty impressive whatever your training, you're not a small guy & have long arms, so the extra work you need to do to get a rep makes it even more impressive in my book!
I'm definitely of the camp of doing less reps with more weight attached, than doing more reps & little or no weight, but that's me, doing high reps would burn me out in no time, I know some guys thrive on it, but I'm just not one of them - 180 chins in 30 is an amazing amount to achieve, 90 reps with 50lb maybe more so? Both are pretty crazy amounts of pulling affraid you ought to bung up a few workouts in the training log section just so people can get an idea of your normal workload & how you've achieved those rep levels - just don't expect to see me pumping out chins like that Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is Jay from West Virginia, US   

Back to top Go down

This is Jay from West Virginia, US
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1