Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Vegan Powerlifting belts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Vegan Powerlifting belts   Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 am

Yep, we've dreamed of such things through the years, but it seems we'd never get them...until now! Vegan Sports Shop are just getting a supply in. They will be attempting get them validated for use by the IPF (let's hope!), but for everyone who's been stuck using leather this one really does seem to be a viable replacement. They're not on the site yet, but are available as a double pronged buckle or a lever buckle & in 10mm or 13mm. I'm about to put in an order as soon as I get price confirmation & sizes. Once I've got it I'll let you know how it performs...as a side note I generally lift raw, but adding a belt can add a bit to your DL or similar moves.
Here's a couple of pics to wet your appetites - bear in mind these are the first serious lifting belts ever made for vegans, so if you can support the guys at Vegan Sports Shop & buy them up (they'd make excellent xmass prezzies!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vegan Powerlifting belts   Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:32 am

Here's the link for the belts if you're interested. Personally I'm considering the lever buckle type rather than the prong as I find prong harder to negotiate after a heavy pull, but that's me...not that I'm much of a belt wearer, I tend not to, but it'd be interesting to see how I perform with a decent belt (rather than the rubbish material types I've used before).
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Vegan Powerlifting belts   Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:53 pm

I dunno... I have reservations about belts...
They don't contribute directly to lifting strength, nor specifically protect against injury. However they do act as an aid, or a reminder, for correct stance while lifting. If you are free-lifting, stance and balance are critical, so perhaps they do earn their keep...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vegan Powerlifting belts   Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:41 am

Yea, I don't really use any training aids myself (barring chalk) as a rule unless to help me train around an injury (like a wrist wrap for wrist tendinitis).
I know a lot of guys rate them for lifting very heavy stuff (twice bodyweight & beyond), although I've done full deadlifts & partial squats (my squats suck!) with over that weight beltless without any issues. I've order one to review & obviously if I was competing & it was allowed I'd probably wear one (if it ups my totals, I'd have to try a cycle or 2 with & compare improvements with & without the belt. I'd probably always do warm-ups beltless whatever as I believe most times you're going to need to display strength you're not likely to have a massive belt handy?
I think for stuff like stone lifting where rounding the back is a natural effect of the lift (ever try lifting a big, round stone with a flat back!) it might well come into it's own, or if you lift like Bob Peoples (old time deadlifter with a massive pull) who actually did round backed deadlifting. Both of these I'd probably wear a belt (well I personally wouldn't round back deadlift, but I do lift the old smallish boulder on occasion, just for fun you understand cheers ), so that would be a place I'd use a belt most often for sure. I might include it in the top sets if it increases the lift, but still work at upping the non-belted max by doing all the warm-ups beltless, so we'll have to see. If I can hit 2.5x bodyweight on the deadlift & much more important to me crack the 2x bodyweight squat in 2010 I'll be happy (as I said my squat sucks, not getting 2x bodyweight is a real issue for me that I hope to solve over the next 12 months). I'd prefer a beltless 2x but if a belt gets me over that, then I can certainly work from there on getting a totally raw 2x bodyweight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vegan Powerlifting belts   

Back to top Go down

Vegan Powerlifting belts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1