Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Share | 

Hello there from the netherlands.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
yvonne84

PostSubject: Hello there from the netherlands.   Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:03 pm

I am a 25 year old overweight woman living in the netherlands, and I'm interested in working out and getting healthy on a plant based diet.
So far I've succesfully cut out milk, meat and dairy products.
My reasons for cutting back animal products consumption;
- meat and dairy trigger my IBS
- I don't think they are healthy
-I don't need the extra calories, I have hashimoto's (auto-imume thyroid)
- I am against factory farming and think the way meat is produced is absolutely disgusting.
Who needs foodpoisoning and puss filled pockets in their foods eh.
-I believe animals are entitled to a good life, free from human induced suffering.

I still eat eggs from my uncles farm (his backyard), and wild cought raw fish.
I am however very curious as to why and how cut those out as well.

I live together with my boyfriend, and even though we love eachother my eating habits are giving him grief and causing arguments.
He loves animal products, he doesn't have to eat healthy (he thinks) because he is underweight.
He also likes to eat like a 7 year old..
He hates going to the gym with me.
I can't force him to do anything,, The whole "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink".

I hope to cook better as to debunk his prejudice towards vegans. (you probably heard it all allready; vegan food is gross, unhealthy, vegans are pale unclean hippies).

working out;
I go to the gym at least 3 times a week, I start with a brief cardio session but I mostly work on strenthening my muscles. I follow the beginners schedules provided by my gyms website.

I joined this site to learn more about veganism and living together with a partner who doesn't want any of it.
I'm also curious to find more people who are vegans out of a health point of view.
I hope to find answers to workout related questions I'm bound to have in the future.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, and if you have anything to add I will appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
john machin

PostSubject: Re: Hello there from the netherlands.   Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:27 am

Very pleased to hear from you, Yvonne. We’ve all experienced problems from those close to us. Some people admire what we do; others resent it, seeming to take our choice to eat and live differently from them as a personal insult.
Patient explanation often helps, but many people don’t want to hear. I’ve found the best way to counter such clashes of belief is to avoid arguments. Continue to live in the way you believe – by doing this, you’ll set a shining example of health and fitness of mind and body. This is a more eloquent statement than a thousand words. - John
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wwww.placeinumbria.com
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello there from the netherlands.   Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:23 am

Hiya,
Wow training with that condition is a great achievement & something you should be proud of. Thyroid issues like that make most people simply give up as they get so tired, & training's about 100x harder it's a real achievement.
It can be an issue living with someone with different ethical views than you. It's a fact that some people can change straight away, some need more time, while others will simply never change. The best way I've heard of to approach this is to be non-confrontational. I'd work on the positive aspects of your dietary choices. First off I'd work on finding meals that he likes, find some common foods you will both eat, both everyday meals & special occasion meals. I'm not sure why your eating habits would be giving him grief? Unless you're making a point every meal about how wrong he is (which I don't believe is a good approach), then I'm not sure how your diet can affect him that much - possibly you eat out a lot & taking the extra few minutes to explain when booking a meal that you want an animal-free meal (maybe you could book your meals out, then he have even less hassle than before?).
You could check out a few online stores as there's enough naughty vegan food to keep even the worst 7 year old happy Very Happy , maybe a few vegan naughty foods would help break the ice into the world of vegan goodies for him?
Gym going has to be personal choice, don't make him go, it won't work long term. Maybe think about doing some stuff at home like training DVD's, but mostly he has to WANT to do something before he'll do something about exercise.
Although I became a vegan for ethical reasons, health is a big concern, so much so, I developed my interest in training (becoming a personal trainer) & nutrition (first becoming a sports nutritionist, now taking a nutritional consultancy course), so getting the maximum health from whatever diet someone chooses is a main concern of mine.
I'd say the hardest thing will be finding common foods that are both healthy for you & yet exciting enough for your partners palate. Buying a few cookbooks might be a good start, then trying to find foods & meals you love to share will help you overcome your differences?
If you need any help with you training or diet then let me know

Hmm, you asked about why people cut out eggs & wild caught fish. Well the fish is pretty easy, first a fish is dragged into an environment where it suffocates, in handling the mucus layer of fish is wiped off, this is a protective layer & direct contact with the scales without this protection is unpleasant & damaging to them. Also human skin is really hot to a fish & although it doesn't burn (as some claim) it feels unpleasantly hot to the fish who just lives in a much colder environment. Then obviously the fish is killed when there isn't a need to kill them (there are alternatives food stuff available to you), if it's simply for omega 3 fatty acids then either flax seed could be used &/or vegan DHA/EPA pills that have been extracted from the sea algae the fish eat can be taken to get all the omega 3 fatty you need.
The reason I don't eat eggs are birds are kept in captivity, either a rooster isn't kept onsite thereby not allowing the chickens to breed or there is a rooster kept onsite then you are potentially eating partially developed chickens. the main issue though is where are the chicken coming from & going to. First you have where are all the chickens coming from: Most commonly these are from a hatchery where masses of eggs are hatched, all the males are killed in one of several awful ways while the females are grown for a bit then shipped out to farms for use as egg layers. In rare cases it may be the case that a farmer breeds there own chicks, but again half are male & where do they go? Either they are killed at birth or they are fattened up & sold as meat, either way is not a good resolution in my eyes.
Next we have what happens to the chickens when they begin to slow down in their egg production , the most common answer is they are sent to slaughter & replaced with new birds, if you kept the birds until they naturally died farmers would soon be overrun with older birds that produced no eggs, but still cost them for food & living space, the only option is to get rid of these birds & replace them with younger birds. There are organic free-range farms round here & they do exactly that, they buy from hatcheries & sell to slaughterhouses with yearly culls of a proportion of their flock on an ongoing basis..infact they have tried to sell these birds to animal rights people to rehome (or they'll die) which some people now raise money for year round, but that is only a small % of the yearly cull & with the best will in the world you could never rehome every bird even from this one small operation.
So, egg production involves a huge death toll & wild caught fish involves pain & suffering (as well as death) to the fish. My choice has been that I don't need to do it, so I choose not to. Obviously everyone has their own path & makes their own ethical choices, so I can't say what's right or wrong for you, but you did ask why we made the choices we did, so that's mine.
All the best & if you need any training or dietary advice I'd be glad to offer what suggestions I can..oh yea & training with that condition is a real inspiration to the rest of us, so keep on keeping on Very Happy Exclamation
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://veganbodybuilding.userboard.net
yvonne84

PostSubject: Re: Hello there from the netherlands.   Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Thank you for all the good advice and kind words John and Pete Smile
To clarify; my bf and I make our meals together, we like to make things like vegan burrito's, veggie curry and all kinds of soups and salads.
He's used to having meat and dairy in those so he misses them.

We no longer have arguments about food, he just jumps everytime I cut a new food out.
I don't mind if he eats meat, it's his own life and I don't go vegan propaganda on his butt. He knows how I feel about it. In fact, I like to hide any ethical views on food whenever I can, I feel that people respond better to the "it is for my health" argument then they do to the "oh the poor animals" argument.
When we go to eat with family I just say nothing and eat the plant based foods, but sometimes people ask.
We rarely eat out, I guess I think it is a bit decadent, and I prefer to handle and cook my own food.
I never got why restaurants centre every meal around meat anyway.

I realize I can't make my bf work out, I just think it is weird he doesn't get a kick out of it.

He sees me as a health nut, because I prefer the effects of whole wheat products (and soy, sea weed etc).
He hates the taste of whole wheat bread and prefers his overprocessed white cotton fluff bread.
I must say I fully understand the appeal of the white stuff, it is yummy afterall. That is why I feel so tempted to eat a slice whenever he buys it. Like dangling a cigarette in front of an addict.

I would like to say thank you for praising me with the work-out vs thyroid situation, I have been going to the gym for quite some time, and I eat pretty healthy. Seeing no change in bodyfat has left me frustrated.
Working out does have some benefits for me; more strength and endurance, less guilt, emotional venting, and it also seems to help with the day and night rythm.

about the eggs;
replacing meat and dairy seems easy to me, just take soy and wheat replacements.
But how on earth do I replace eggs in cooking?
I find it very difficult to find products in our health food stores or find some anwers online.
Do you know how to replace eggs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello there from the netherlands.   Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:56 am

I'm probably not the best person to ask about what to replace eggs in cooking with. For a sports nutritionist who's currently studying to become a nutritional consultant I painfully bad at cooking Embarassed I know there are a few egg replacement products out there & there are some old-time 'tricks' to get around no-eggs for binding etc, but this is probably where a decent book comes in! There's 101 vegan cookbooks out there & most of them cover cakes & stuff that would usually have eggs in them. I don't really bake or anything (when I say 'don't really' I mean 'don't at all'!). I do visit friends who do bake for me, so I'll try & check it out next time I visit (I eat round friends fairly often so I'll get a few suggestions & see how they grab you). I suspect at some point I'll actually have to expand my culinary skills beyond my meagre skills as loads of people ask about cooking & I really only do simple stuff like grilled tofu, 'bung everything in a pot' soup, popcorn (yep I can manage popcorn Twisted Evil), that sort of skill level.
Maybe someone else has a deeper understanding of the culinary arts than me?
Back to top Go down
yvonne84

PostSubject: Re: Hello there from the netherlands.   Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:04 pm

I'm not great at cooking, but I have made some winners in the past.
I prefer one pot meals, like stews, curry's and the occasional pasta.
I recently began making curries, it it quite exotic here and almost nobody eats it.
I understand that in the uk curries are more known.
I have some vegan cookbooks, so I'll have to comb through them to find some fake egg info.
I'll be happy to post easy doable recipes in the recipe section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello there from the netherlands.   Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:38 am

Easy recipes would be ace for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello there from the netherlands.   

Back to top Go down

Hello there from the netherlands.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1